+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flies, flies flies

Default flies, flies flies

Tied up a dozen of each of 4 paterns today.

I checked my stock boxes again and I was low on these. I guess I will need to look at them more often.

Rick

Wow. Such discipline. I did a bunch of crappie Clousers the other night, but right now I'm tyring to get through a challenging fly swap number. then it's katie bar the door. I need some Hare 'n Coppers for the bluegill season, and I just heard we're finally in ice out up here. JGW

Rick,

What size(s) and pattern(s) do you find is most effective for bass?

I was wondering because it seems like you generally target bluegills/crappie with smaller flies, but you hook a lot of bass as well.

So, which four patterns were they? Some of those in your Panfish Articles?

How are the Crappie over there? I am hoping to get out again tomorrow over lunch and see how badly the cold front turned em off. The other day when I was catching the Crappie, there were a couple of Gills in close I could see, but after examining the fly that the Crappie liked, they turned and ran.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Most of the patterns I tie from size 6 to 12 dpeending on which pattern it is.

I did Marabou Miss, Sreamer nymph, perch-a-bou all in the favorites. These were size 6, 8 and 10.

I have also been catching gills and bass on a size 10 or 12 PTN made up of 7 to 8 colors of pheasant tail barbs. So I did a dozen of those.

Rick

Rick -

I've been fishing Chironomids lately for 'Gills and they really like them.

I am intrigued (to say the least) by the "Cold" Stillwater (translated - Trout) fishing and how those techniques can be adapted to our warm venues.

It helps to fish the little Chironomids under an indicator, but I have also had success with them using a [very] slow figure eight retrieve.

- Gary

BTW, have you had an opportunity to fish that Sockeye Fry I sent you yet? It should be great for Crappie.

- g~

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:15f0c]Warmwater Angler[/url:15f0c]

Death, I like to tie my Bass Deep Clousers on #2 hooks. It may be a carry-over from my non-flyfishing days where we always believed that bigger lures meant bigger fish. But I've had such good success on a #2, that I rarely use anything else for largemouths. Favorite color combinations are a blue over white or fire tiger.

Rick

You are a machine. How's the fishing down your way?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks, poke.

Interesting, Gary. There's a local guy doing the same thing. Here's a link to an article he wrote about it:

[url=http://www.flyfishga.com/bloodworm.htm:b7ea1]http://www.flyfishga.com/bloodworm.htm[/url:b7ea1]

I periodically catch gills with bloodworms coming out of their mouth.

+ Reply to Thread