+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crappie are in close!!

Default Crappie are in close!!

Went out over lunch today and ended up catching 5 total. Took me a good 30 minutes to figure out what they were looking for. Turns out, the fly itself didn't really matter the retrieve, however, was very critical.

The first one was on a nice easy hand twist retrieve, so I thought slow. I tried to keep it slow and would see them swim up to the fly, follow for about a foot and dash off. Figgured it was too fast still, so I slowed it down more. Same results. Changed from a white crappie candy variant to a faux bead head hairs ear and caught another one. Figured I had 'em now, they had just wanted more of a 'bug' than a 'minnow' pattern. No more on that one. Tried a black wooly bugger and got the same results. It would not sink more than a foot in the water column though, so I thought maybe I was too shallow. Switched to a green bodied wooly bugger with black tail and brown hackle. It was sinking deeper and I was seeing them follow again so I thought I had them.

Got frustrated after a 'bad' cast and was pulling it in quicker when I caught my third. I may have been retrieving slow, but I don't think I am slow, so I took the hint. Quicker 1-2 foot strips or quicker hand-twist retrieves and I quickly caught the next two. Unfortunately it was then time to get back to work, so I had to leave. Also, unfortunately it is supposed to start raining quite hard tonight and rain through tomorrow (It is headed your way next Rick) so I doubt there will be any fishing til at least the weekend.

How are all y'all doing?

Don
    Don Rolfson

Thrilling.

Was hoping for something along those lines Sunday, but we're still iced in. Maybe by the weekend! I can't wait. JGW

Don,
    Good report. Thanks. To my knowledge the crappie have not moved to the banks here in Oklahoma but if you're catching them shallow in Nebraska maybe I should go check.
    Robert

I know the rain is coming. We need it for the ground but not to muddy the ponds. this willl be my first weekend out in a month.

Great fun to figure out what it takes isn't it.

rick

I had hopes for a mess of crappie this past Saturday but the North wind came up, temps dropped some and if they were on the bite that put them down. I never got so much as a look. Last year around here they really went for a black, white and yellow Clouser with a bit of silver flashabou in it. It was a #10 or #8 3X I believe.

Vic

Around my way I was hitting them on a clouser tied on a #8 hook. Green, yellow and orange. Green on top , yellow in the middle and orange on the bottom. Then take a green sharpie and draw a few verticle lines. It ends up looking like a small perch and they just couldn't get enough of it

They've been shallow and in close to the banks here in N. TX for almost 6 weeks.

+ Reply to Thread