+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass on the reel/ Reel size

Default Bass on the reel/ Reel size

Last year was my 1st year fly fishing. I probably caught over 1000 fish from bream, small catfish, trout and bass up to 3 lbs. I've been doing mostly warmwater fishing and use a 5wt for everything and didn't catch anything that I had to get "on the reel" and have just used the reel for line storage. My reel is an old U.S. made Pfleuger Medalist 1494. Over the winter, I bought a new Pfleuger Medalist and went bigger with the 1595 that has the exposed rim control and also less line crimping/more line storage. My thinking was that the rim control could come in handy with a big bass? The reel just kind of feels heavy, but I'm sure I can get used to the bigger reel since I've only used it 3 or 4 times since I bought it. BUt I kind of miss using my old beat up 40 something year old 1494 medalist. Should I get used to using the bigger reel in case I ever hook a fish of a lifetime and will the rim control come in handy, or say if I ever catch a 10lb bass, is the rim control overkill? Thanks

This is just personal preference on my part, but I would use the lighter reel. The 1494 has a pretty nice adjustable drag. I would just set that for something under breaking strength of your tippet. You obviously are spending lots of time on the water, and any reduction in rig weight will be beneficial. In my view, the rim control is a desirable feature, but would not offset the added weight. Good luck!

Jim

I've caught largemouth bass up to 4 pounds on a fly rod and have never had to go to the reel, but I still always try to reel up the slack line while playing the fish just because I feel like I have better control of the situation by having him on the reel. But I've caught several unexpected big catfish up to 8 1/2 pounds, all while bass fishing, and they will take all your slack line up in a second and probably take you deep into your backing, and then you'll wish you had a palming reel with a disc drag. I always prepare for the unexpected and go with the better reel just in case the fish of a lifetime decides to honor me with a strike.

I have caught several bass in the 8-10 pound range on my fly rod and have never used the drag on the reel. I find that bass (especially large ones)fight hard for a couple of minutes and then sort of "give up". That is of course assuming you're not fishing in heavy cover in which they will wrap you around 10 branches and two stumps so a drag is the least of your problems Typically, I do not fight warmwater fish on the reel as I like the control of using the line and finger pressure for the drag. Just one person's opinion.

Jim Smith

JEC,

I'm with Mr. Smith on this one.

I prefer the skilled hands of an accomplished angler over the mechanical drag any time it is practical, which it always is for bass fishing.

Bass don't make long runs, they aren't particularly fast, and I've never had one, even a 10 pound fish, get near the backing.

I know guys who put EVERY fish, even them little weanie trout things, heck, even bluegills, on the reel. Don't know why.

I believe you have more control, better 'feel' of the fight, and are less likely to break a tippet with your hands on the line rather than on the handle of the reel.

Just my opinion, of course, I have been known to be in error (not often, though).

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:cf557]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:cf557]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hmmm, might need to clarify my answer so we don't center the debate on mechanical drags.

Jim and Buddy are correct. My answer was to the specific issue of 1494 vs 1595, with the question being "What if I hook the big one?".

It is an issue of mechanical drag in a lighter reel vs mechanical drag and palming in a heavier reel.

My intended position is that for the species targeted, mechanical drag alone is more than sufficient in case the monster hits, and I personally would fore go the palming action in favor of lighter weight.

I know a lot of folks prefer to palm, and that's fine. I've never had to put a warm water fish on either mechanical or palm drag. I prefer to control the line by hand and apply force or slip a few inches to the fish as needed.

But I haven't ventured after carp yet.

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 04 April 2005).]

You guys need to start carp fishing so you can hear a WW fish make a drag screeeeeeem. It's a beautiful sound.

I also see no need to go "on the reel" with bass. I have also taken som nice (22-24") channel cats on the fly & played & landed them with line in hand. Same thing..guess I'm a "control freak" too! I do agree that carp may need to go "on the reel", although I have yet to catch one on the fly. Saw a guy a couple years ago lose his entire leader to a running carp...that baby took off like a freight train without brakes!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I can count on one hand how many bass that I have had to land on a reel. Usually it is because all my line is out with a decent fish. It is nice to have some pretty good brakes on the reel though. I landed a 7 lber using the reel two years ago and had my 8wt with a disc drag. I am glad I did because the place I was fishing was weed and stump city. My tippet was 10 lb test so I could put the pressure on her. It was easy putting it on the reel because I had only stripped in about 3 feet of line so her first hard pull easily put me into the reel. I don't think I would have if I had to crank in 40 feet of slack. So I would say it all depends on the conditions of where and what you are fishing. It is just like with cars sometimes brakes are important and sometimes they are not, but hold on for dear life.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

I can't recall ever fighting a fish, warmwater or coldwater, on the reel. Last summer a running carp burnt my line hand, or whatever hand you call it that is on the rod. I call that a "line hand" and the other my "stripping hand." However, I didn't have a clue on which hand to take to the reel to fight it there. I can't imagine having any more fun, though. JGW

+ Reply to Thread