I've gotta agree with Okie on raising the rod on windy days. You'll never be able to put the fly where you want it. I always take a long rod and a short rod already rigged for carp and then select the rod on-sight that best matches the fishing conditions of the day. If there is a strong wind and/or the carp or close in, I use my 6 1/2 foot rod. If there is no wind and the fish are spooking easier than normal, then I use my 9 foot rod. Many times I've experimented with using both rods on the same day as conditions changed. I just don't think there is one best carp rig for all conditions just like I don't think there is one best rig for bass or trout for all conditions. I find that I'm in a much better position to catch fish if I match my rig to the current fishing conditions. Also I hate getting out on clowdy days for carp. Even with a good set of polaroids and a big brimed cap, I have a lot of difficulty seeing the fish without direct sunlight unless the water is crystal clear and there's not a breath of wind. I just as soon go to other parts of the lake and fish for bass on clowdy days. Great posts guys, I'm learning a lot!