+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate bass rod.

Default The ultimate bass rod.

What's the one bass rod you'd own if you could only have one? This rod has to do everything because you can only have ONE.

8 1/2 ft. 6 wt. Used to have a St. Croix that somehow got between me and the ground, and even inside the tube, broke in half. Replaced with a 9 ft. My old one was a perfect rod. JGW

my one rod would be my fenwick 7 1/1 ft. fiberglass,,can use 5,6or 7 wt. line.at times i fish a small stream with brush a longe rod is a pain..but can also use it on bigger streams.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Robert

Great question! I'm still looking for mine. Last spring I bought a 9' 8wt rod, Ross C4 reel and RIO Clouser line. Thought I had the perfect set up. That is until I developed a bad case of caster's elbow. That whole outfit is just too darn heavy for me and for the size of bass in most of the places I fish. I wound up fishing most of the season with a a 8' 5wt.

I'm going to try and use a 9' 6wt this year for bass and see how that works. Ideally though, like JGW I think for me a 8 1/2' 6wt would be the ticket.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I think I'll stick with my 2 weight. When the bass aren't cooperating it's fun as heck to use it for anything else

If I could only own one bass rod it would be 9 foot, 9 wt., fast action. A 9 wt. is a little on the heavy side for most of the places I fish, but since I can only have one, it will do the job for the "someday trips" I have planned for Texas and Florida.

Jeff

Danged Robert,

Your scoring brownie points with my
    wife already.*G* Just one rod. Jeez!
    Believe it or not, my choice would be the
    $9.00 6 1/2 foot Graphlex Supreme that my
    boy picked up in K-mart in 4/5 wt. With a
    6 wt Cortland 444 (in peach of course) it
    puts my dremel version of the olde Hula
    Popper exactly where I want it back in the
    cypress swamps here in SC. It accounts for
    fully half or better of all of my bass and
    is near perfect for my cypress choked swamp
    fishery. Go figure.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Dang Robert, I just got me a second rod, now you want me to consider cutting back? Okay, I guess I actually have 3, but both of the 'old' ones are 5wts, an 8 1/2 and a 9 footer. New one is the three forks 3 wt that gets kicked around on here from time to time as a good rod.

Okay, so to answer your question, since I only got a couple of 5s and a 3, I would have to go with the 5, but it'd have to be the 9 footer. I didn't use it alot last year, because I was using an old worn out line most of the year, but this year is gonna be different. Gotta use it and the 3 wt and it's gonna be a real tough coice most days.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Robert, I'm going to buck generally accepted wisdom here, and it is based solely on my style of bassin'. I would choose a moderate (toward the fast end) 7'6" or 8' three weight. One whose construction minimizes physical weight to the bare minimum. With a nice beefy cork grip to fit my large hand. It would exhibit good workmanship but would not be so "fine" that I would worry about laying it in the bottom of the canoe. It would need to be 4 pieces so I could drop it into a carry on bag.

Does a single rod fit this bill? A lot of them come very close. But as always, they exhibit some concessions to universality. So I'd probably have to build it myself.

You are not going to send the rod police to get my other ones, are you?

Jim

Robert,
    The keyword to me is "everything". For that reason, my 9' 8wt. I want a 6 wt eventually, but to handle ALL types of bass fishing, at this point my thout would be the 8 wt.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread