+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best WW flyfishing state in the nation? Why do yo

Georgia.....duh!
    World record LMB, State record bluegill is in the 4 pound range, all of the record panfish species are over a pound, with the exception of the flyer, I believe.
    6 species of bass, 2 crappie, and tons of panfish species.
    You wanna fish in the mountains? We got it. How about rolling hills? Got it. You like rough fishin' in the swamps? Got it. Heck, you can even fish for those longish, multi-colored salmonoids, if you wanted to.
    I rest my case! ;D

Swamp

I'd have to vote for Florida, even though I live in Texas now.
    Bill1227
    I respectfully disagree with your statement. Not only do you have a shot at some world-class LMB, but the Panfish choices are also great. Not to mention the Peacock Bass and various species of exotic WW fish (Dade/Monroe Counties). That doesn't include the Snook and Tarpon that reside in some of the WW found in that State.

3. Default

Barry, It's o.k. to disagree. Personally I think Florida is a great salt water fishing state. But, other than that all you have is Largemouth. "Panfish" I don't even count but that's just me. There are lots of Perch, Crappie & Bluegills here too but most fly roders don't even pursue them here.
    In about 2 weeks you could catch buckets of crappie on a good sized lake 2 miles from my house with a white Clouser yet, you would have to search very hard to see a fly rod. We have large mouth too but, the only ones pursuing them with any regularity are the Bass Tourney guys that take over the town for a few days.
    Warm water here for the fly fisherman is almost exclusively Smallmouth Bass then Pike & Muskie. I suspect the reason less panfish are pursued is because there is such a variety of sport fish both warm & cold not, because of lack of them.
    Economically and in terms of warm weather it may be better in the South & South West and many move there for that. From Minn. to Wisc. to Mich and upstate NY along with our neighbors In Canada fisherman in this region choose to live here.....................for the fishing.........oh yea, that and the home cook'in diners that still dot the land. I do miss the "real" Mexican food ,hot chilly, nice people of the small towns and catfish steaks of Texas though. The Florida salt water fishing I would take...............the zoo of a life style in the metro area's you can keep.
    Regards,
    Bill1227

The reason I go for Fla. and Tex. rather than one of the Northern States is you can fish in the South year round with a fly rod for WW fish. Not so in the North.

5. Default

"Year round" ?

They don't have a season on large mouth Bass in Florida ?
    Panfish is probably open.........

6. Default

I think people here, including myself, are being biased to there geographic location in the states. Which is normal,fine and even patriotic. If I were to try and have a open mind and really narrow it down to "warm water sportfish". I would say Minnesota or Wisconsin, both a long way's from here, and neither known as flyfishing mecca's. Personally I think Canada should be included and Ontario would make the list. Florida and California have some of the best trophy Largemouth fishing anywhere but, after that for warmwater it's mostly panfish. On the other hand the Great Lakes region is home to trophy Smallmouth and after that there are Largemouth,Walleye,Nothern Pike, Muskellunge, fresh water drum and carp (if you consider fw drum & carp sportfish, some do here but, most still don't)
    Regards,
    Bill1227

P E N N S Y L V A N I A

We know why.

+ Reply to Thread