+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is the difference

Default What the heck is the difference

I just decided to start fly fishing again after an absence. I have to tell you, I enjoy jumping in a cold roaring river fishing for trout as much as I love sneeking along a shoreline hunting bluegills on the beds, Smallmouths on a river or stream, Largemouth prowling a lake shorline. I love it all. The only reason I spent less time fishing was total a commitment to bowhunting for awhile. The lack of time off from work made that a must. I now can do both. Im going to devote more time to flyfishing as well as the hunting. I just thought I would say that fishing is fishing to me. Warm water or cold water. Good fishing.

Toby V.,
    Welcome. Well said. I agree. We are a little bit alike because my son has recently gotten me back into hunting which we did a bunch of this Fall and Winter. It cut into my Winter fishing time but that's normally the slowest time of the year for me anyway. Hunting and fishing is a very good combination to keep you in the beautiful outdoors year round. I look forward to hearing more from you here.

Toby,
    Welcome! I also agree...cold or warmwater, saltwater.....it's all great!
    Where are you from?
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Welcome, Toby. You asked, "what's the difference?" and proclaimed enjoyment of both cold and warmwater fishing. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally I'm a great distance from any trout water and, quite frankly, have been warmwater fly fishing since I was a kid 50 years ago. Nothing at all against trout angling or trout anglers, but what I'd like to see is more balance between the two pursuits with the magazines targeting our passion. One article a year makes it seem like warmwater is of little consideration. And I guess that is the only "difference." So this board, this one right here, is a place for us with warmwater interests to share information and a passion that is being ignored by the media of our interests. Welcome. We look forward to your wisdom, hints and shared information which I'm sure will make us not only better people but better fishers. And that, my friend, is the only difference. JGW

Certainly one can derive pleasure from fly fishing whether they are fishing cold water for trout and salmon or warm water for blue gills, crappies, smallmouth, etc. And certainly there some fly patterns that cross over as well. But I think if someone just fishes the same trout flys for both they are limiting themselves.

Just my .02c
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

"ditto" white43

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Toby,

Welcome back. I got away from fly fishing for 30 years and returned in 2001. I love the coldwater, warmwater and saltwater. Ain't it great to be home! 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

White I agree that the major magazines should dedicate a few more article to warm water fishing. Actually there are many more warm water rivers,streams, creeks available to us than cold water. I wish we all had a mix of both. I live in Nothern Illinois. We have a few great small mouth bass rivers and a few nice lakes in the area that provide all warm water species. Within a couple hours of driving you can be in southwest Wisconsin for some great trout fishing. Some stocked and some streams that have natural reproduction,

Robert anytime I'm able to spend time outside away from any paved road or other man made object I'm happy. Really Happy. Some people need Michael Jackson and his ongoing out of his mind saga to entertain them. I just need some animals,bugs and fish to make me smile.

Angler I dont care what pattern they like just as long as they bite. Seems they all like the Hares Ear. Even if you can't make a perfect one. How bout them fish. Hope they don't start reading those fly fishing magazines. Then they will know we are doing it wrong. Good Fishing

Blog Entries

Toby I live in the Great white North . There is no difference , or at least there shouldn't be . Those that see a difference have totally missed the point of fishing . Just a mile from here is some of the best trout fishing in the Country , I regularly get 10 -15 lb trout from a 90 mile long 800ft deep fishpond that never freezes over . Along its shores I can sight fish for 10 lb bass It gets real hot here in the summer . This is desert country . The next valley over to the east about 3 hours drive is some great pike and walleye fishing , I can travel for 3 hours west and catch 6ft long sturgeon . One more hour and I'm into some Chinook , Coho , Sockeye , etc . Spinfishers , bait fishers , flyfishers who cares , they are all just a bunch of guys and gals out on the water having fun. That's what its about Fun .

------------------
    Time is the fire that we burn in .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I'm primarily a cold water fisherman because that's what is available to me. Ice cold, clear rivers and streams, fed by melting snow pack and glaciers. Those streams harbor some fantastic cutthroat and rainbow trout, steelhead, Coho, King and Silver Salmon. Warm water fisheries are few and far between here, though when I find them I do toss a fly at Gills, Crappie and once in a while a smallie.

We tend to fish whatever is available to us.

You know, this site didn't have a warm water forum until someone suggested it, sme with frog water. If you write to the editor of a few fly fishing magazines about the lack of warm water subjects, they just might listen, and provide you with a few more articles and stories that pertain to warm water fishing. Especially if they get hit with a bunch of letters.

Just my .02.

REE

[This message has been edited by NoahsBoyz (edited 25 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread