+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Novice seeking advice

Default Novice seeking advice

I am new to the sport and recently went out and bought a fly rod/reel combo pack. It is by Cortland. It is a 2 piece 9' 5/6 wt. rod w/reel. The line is WF5F and the backing is 20lb./50yd. The tapered leader is 7.5ft./3x tip dia. The few flys I have are all 14 thru 18. I live in Greensboro, NC and live about 2hrs. from the mountains. I need to learn the basics before I go after trout. I plan on practicing on couple of nearby ponds that I know have bass/bluegill in them. I might as well do some fishing while I am practicing. Can I use what I have or is my kit more suited for trout? If so any advice on what type line, backing and flys I would need would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Welcome to the sport, Chris. You 12/14's should work okay with bluegill. Might check into some surface flies like Dahlberg Divers, Gurgle Pops, Wiggle Bugs, etc., to have some topwater fun with bass. Or Gill Busters for both species. Clousers, too. Please don't look down at your warmwater species, for you just might find them more fun and have even more success than you will up in the mountains for trout. Just for the record, I'm not anti-trout. Just pro-warmwater. You will discover any number of tremendous warmwater flies. Again, welcome to the sport. JGW

Hi Chris,

Welcome to FAOL as well as the sport of
    flyfishing. By all means, bluegills and
    other panfish often respond very well to
    trout flies. I catch most of my panfish on
    "trout flies"*G* Bluegills have small
    mouths and if you crimp the barb on your
    hook you'll be happy that you did. Warm
    regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 22 March 2005).]

ChrisW,,,cortland makes some nice outfits, have fun with the gills.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Chris,

I think that you got a wonderful fly rod for just about any type of freshwater fly fishing that you want to try. You're certainly well armed for trout, brim, and bass. The only suggestion that I would make is that you buy (or better yet tie) a few size #8 and #10 Wooly Buggers so that you can try for a bass or two. After you have gained some experience, you might want to invest in a lighter rod for trout and one that is a little heavier for bass. Good choice! 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Chris,
    Welcome!
    For the gills (plus some bonus bass), pick up some white sponge spiders.
    You bought a very versatile outfit...go get 'em!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Chris,
    Grand purchase. Welcome to the addiction. These guys around here can really help you along.
    ......lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 22 March 2005).]

Chris,
    Welcome here. No question is a bad or stupid one. Please remember that. We tolerate almost anything around here except "rude" just ask anyone. After all, they tolerate me.
    Congratulations on your purchase. Your rig is a nice "all around" set up. You're going to love this sport. The 3X leader is good for bass and panfish unless the water is extremely clear. 3X is what I use for 90% of my bass and 'gill fishing when I'm fishing for both at the same time. If I'm fishing big bugs for bass only, I use a 6 foot or so straight leader of 12 or 15 pound test mono pulled off a spool of line I keep for my baitcasting rods. The only thing I'd change that you already have when you go trout fishing is the leader and tippet. Go with 5X to start with for trout. They are more leader shy than most WW species. The only other advice I'd like to give you is "practice" on the trout and when you get serious, come back to the WW fish. They're more fun and challenging. Having said that, I do love to trout fish too, for a change of pace.
    Good luck, Robert

Chris W, When I started fly fishing, I started with a 6wt rod. It was good for everything I fished for. I fished small lime stone streams and wide open rivers... You made a very good choice for getting into fly fishing.

Tim

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread