+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bass bug tapers

Default bass bug tapers

Okay. I'm needing a new 6 wt. line. I'm catalog hopping beings I'm not a shopper and am 5 hours round trip from my nearest fly shop. In the Cabelas catalog I have a SA Mastery Bass Taper for $60. One page later I have a SA Air Cell Bass Bug Fly Line for $27. Why should I spend an additional $33 for the Mastery line? JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 16 March 2005).]

White,

Different, maybe 'newer', technology in the construction.

Whether it is 'worth' it or not, that's up to you.

By the way, you can get the same 'effect' of a 'bass taper' just by going up a line size. That's all this is, a 'heavier' front section. Plain old weight forwards are a bit less costly, in most cases, than 'specialty' lines and they will work just fine.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:95a6d]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:95a6d]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

John

I opted for some Cortland SL in a bbt for around $48. I don't know if I buy Buddy's one line weight heavier theory. But, then again he seems to be the authority on everything related to fly fishing. Just looking at a picture of SA's GPX and Bass But Taper leads me to believe that the head on the BBT is shorter and heavier. But then again I'm no expert.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

JGW,
    Guessing you are interested in tossing bigger bugs by your inquiry.
    We have found our bass fishing is mostly target shooting with bigger bugs and distance is not really critical. For this we find a good old L (level) line to be QUITE handy. We have recently found that L6 and L9 to be the easiest to find. At around $12.00 you might want to try one anyway.
    Our next choice when doing this is an "up-lined" DT line.
    Just more fodder....
    ......lee s

The SA Mastery Bass Taper is worth every penny. I wish I could put it on all my heavy duty rods. I have it on an 8wt, I use type 3 and 6 sinking leaders (the one's that usually cast like well ropes) and throw metal fly rod lures (spoons, jigs, in-line spinners) on it with ease. It's an amazing line. I'm sold on that line. It handles distance well too. Just to push the line I cast a heavy dumbell eye zonker/bunny type streamer on a #2 saltwater hook 60 ft with no problems. It really shines while boat fishing. You do have other options though: some saltwater lines with very forward tapers work well, pike and musky line will work too. I've not found a better heavy line than SA Mastery Bass Taper, but do pair it up with a proper leader. For floating leaders I use the super stout, 4' long bass/pike type leaders. Don't skimp on the leaders with this line and it will suit you well.

Mike B

While I like the SA Mastery Bass Bug line, too (I use their Wet Tip sinking tip lines), I'll put in a vote for the Rio Clouser line. I use one on my Scott A2 906/4 for white bass and small mouth (and light largemouth) for chunking big streamers and topwater and I REALLY like it. I used it all last year. It's also a decent nymph line if you throw a big weighted nymph and/or some split shot.

The six-weight is the only weight I've tried (I have the SA Mastery Bass Bug on my 8 weight Scott SAS), but I plan to put one on my 8-weight when the SA wears out, even though I like the SA, too.

Steven

The S.A. Mastery Headstart Headstart line has a taper that is very similar to a bass taper and at $35 is a bargain. It is marketed as line for novice casters but it works well tossing big flies. I recall seeing Bruce Richards of S.A. write that it makes a good bass bug line.

The new Cortland 333 Bass Taper seems to be nice line also and is $35.

The Rio Mainstream Saltwater line has a taper based on the Rio Clouser line and also runs $35.

I have to agree with tailingloop on the Headstart line. I use it on my 5wt for tossing blue gill bugs. I had asked Bruce Richards the same question and he replied that it's a good alternative to a BBT.

The only reason I bought Cortland was I got to feeling kind of guilty that I wasn't supporting a local shop. But I've used Cortland line in the past and they make a very good line as well.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Here's your third recommendation of the Mastery Headstart line. Its got a short heavy head and a short front taper, making it ideal to kick over those heavy/fluffy bass flies.

I really don't think you'd be happy with a level line.

+ Reply to Thread