+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Close, close, close!

Default Close, close, close!

Went down to a pond Sat. afternoon. Temp hit 76, bluebird skies! Only drawback was wind howling 20-25. Still, managed five medium gills and two smallish bass in about an hour before the wind frustrated me into giving up. I was fishing a 7-wt for these small fish, just to punch through the gales!

Ah, but it did feel wonderful. Like Mr. Harrison said, it's been a long, cold lonely winter...

Best regards from the Rez,
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:7e8d4]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:7e8d4]

Roger, are you the purveyor of hope? Just when I thought it would warm up around here we got another snow. It was spitting again yesterday so I spent the day watching BB playoffs and tying a Finnish "zonker muddler" for a swap. Not a bad way to spend a day, actually, though not as wonderful as fighting a little wind in 70 degree temps. Wow. JGW

A couple of days ago I drove up to a lake that 1.] usually has open channels quite early, and 2.] is stocked by the state with trout. This combines to create what is often the early "bite". During the drive the temp dropped close to 10 degrees and it started to really snow! When we got there we could see that the channels [a couple, anyway] have been open but were re-freezing almost as we watched. With anmost single diget lows the last couple of nites, it's still going to be a while. [40 forcast for a high next Friday!!!!]

Anyone know a warm-weather dance?

Donald

Hold on, folks, spring is almost here!

Wind's howling today even worse, so I ain't even trying it.

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:f6e1a]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:f6e1a]

RS... Like you I couldn't resist. I'm over here near Meridian, MS. I used my 4 wt LOL, managed to catch one little bass before the wind knots ruined my day. Near 80 degrees today but the wind is still ripping around the barn.

It got to 23 deg F here today. However, the bird songs are achanging. Spring is on the way.

76 and bluebird skies with a little wind, huh?
    I got out yesterday! I only had to drill through 19" of ice to catch a couple nice gills. Wind didn't bother me much, you just throw a little slush in the hole to keep the line from moving to much.
    I know we'll get that weather soon enough. It warmed up last year so I am pretty sure it's going to warm up this year.

Only drawback was wind howling 20-25. Still, managed five medium gills and two smallish bass in about an hour before the wind frustrated me into giving up. I was fishing a 7-wt for these small fish, just to punch through the gales!
    Roger, seems like that is a normal day for me . 7wt. and all. Don Ingram in the town of Lake Placid says he fishes Lake Istokpoga using 5 and 6 wt.s from his powered canoe and says that he can handle the high winds but then again, I believe he said that he was a casting instructor. I'm not that good so I'll stick with my 7wt. loaded with WF . It was great to talk to Don on the phone over the weekend and hopefully we will do some tying and fishing soon.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Well, it was 30 today here in Ohio. However, the ponds outside my apartment have begun to thaw. One is about 90% ice free, so today I thought I would give it a shot. Took the new 1wt out to put it through the paces. It took me a little while to get back in the swing of things, but I managed to do alright after about 20 minutes. Wasn't really looking to catch anything - just wanted to get out of the house and tune up my casting. Hopefully we will get a few more of those mid 50 - low 60 days here again soon and the fish will start biting.

Man, it sure was nice to get outside again...

Jake

R, March is just a big tease in my opinion. That's why I think it is "the sorriest month of the year". Hang in there though. As we all know, Spring is just around the corner.

+ Reply to Thread