+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: some bass and pike dremel bugs

Blog Entries

John

Those are some danged good-looking flies! Foam on a dremel is quite a medium for fly tying and you are doing well at it indeed.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:0120f]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:0120f]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Hey John,

Good looking kritters. I'll bet the
    toothy kritters love them. Good luck. Jim

3. Default

Yea.........nobody has the Rainy's foam around here either. I am not sure which mail order companys do ?
    After I use up some more of my belly hair I am going to try foam for my Pike flies for awhile. Beside the divers fished on a sink tip, I really like those multi cone flies for pushing water & movement.

Lee S.

The Tiemco 8089 is almost exactly the same hook, as to shape and wire diameter, as the Mustad Sproat Hook (3366? or is the 3399? whichever one is the straight eyed hook). The Tiemcos are sized odd, so the size numbers won't match, but it's functionally the same hook.

I've used both for bass topwaters, and frankly prefer the Mustad. They ARE much less costly, and I've found the Tiemcos to be a bit brittle in the larger sizes.

Anyway, just an option if you are tying a lot of these. May save you some bucks.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:0308f]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:0308f]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Ridderbos3:

What size plug cutter did you use to cut out those large sized plugs?

Nice flies!

Have fun,

George

3/4 inch

Those are really neat bugs. Would you answer a couple of questions for me. What type foam are you using? I'm assuming the multicolored ones are from laminated disks, is that right? Are you turning the shape, then cutting the bottom off flat? I've read the article on foam turning on the dremel, just haven't tried it yet. Very nice, and very interesting.

All of the foam came from sleazy steves
    [url=http://www.jvlnet.com/~swinters/:530e0]http://www.jvlnet.com/~swinters/[/url:530e0]

You can laminates sheets together though in any color combination you want and do the same thing. I cut the 3/4 inch plug and then turned the general symmetrical shape on the dremel lathe. After I turned all my bodies I disassemble the dremel lathe and chuck a sanding drum in the dremel and just shape the bottoms making sure to leave plenty of material for the hook shank to still be concealed in the body.

Thanks for the link. Do you use his plug cutters and if so, do you find the drilled hole in the plug is beneficial in both chucking up on the tool and in putting the body on the hook? Do you find the 3/4 plug to be the best size?

I do not use his cutters. I use hollow punches that I bought on ebay. Jim hatch can provide a link to harbor freight with the same set. I used 3/4 because it was the biggest I had. I was experimenting with the shape and wanted to be able to work from a bigger canvas so to speak. In the future though I will still use that size, it worked out the best for the shapes I did.

Steves cutters have the drill in the center that I do not care for at all. IT would not be very condusive to using the dremel lathe. It works thought if you use his arbor and sandpaper instead of the needle and dremel.

john

+ Reply to Thread