+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is March the sorriest month of the year?

Default Is March the sorriest month of the year?

March gets my vote for the sorriest month of the year. Too late for hunting and too early for most WW fish. Which month gets your vote for the sorriest month of the year?

For me, here in Ohio, it has to be February....Crappie usually start to hit in March, Pike (IF I ever get around to fishing for 'em) definitely do, & the first real warm snap usually triggers some bass activity. February is usually such lousy weather that I couldn't get out if I wanted to..January's pretty bad too (I don't ice fish).
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I think March is one of the best months as far as fishing goes, at least around here. The bass are moving up in the shallows, the sandies and stripers are running at the March full moon, walleye are doing thier thing in early March, the trout are big and happy with all the bugs hatching, and the farm ponds are getting warm enough to throw poppers. March gets no complaints from me.

Mike B.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Robert,

I have to disagree with you on this one. While things may start out a little slow in March, fishing is starting to get good all over Upstate South Carolina. The trout fishing is definitely starting to pick up and it will be really good by the middle of the month. Bass are starting to move into the shallows where they can be reached with a long rod. Stripers are working their way into creeks. Life is getting good in March.

February gets my vote for the major waste of calendar space.

February gets my vote. Too early to think about spring and the weather is mostly gloomy. No light to photograph, fish are deep and sullen.
    But now it's March and we've had a few warm days. Went out Sunday afternoon and fished a small National Forest lake close to my home. Caught one small bream and had several strikes that I missed due to thumb up the ole #%* syndrome. But, casting the short 4 wt. rod really felt good beneath the warm sunshine. Good to scratch the itch a bit.

March has been pretty good to me so far. February on the other hand, is pretty lousy.

Toss up, Robert, between November, December, January and February. April is always a tease. May is tough because bass season doesn't open until the last week of the month. June? Only three months of good fishing left. July there's two. August is hot as hades. September ain't bad for all that's left is a few walleye guys and a fly fisher or two. October is pretty and nice. The worst of them all? Gotta be January. If it weren't for tying and rod wrapping this would be 31 days of complete waste. JGW

I'll go with Robert, because the waters all around this area are affected by the Atchafalaya River, which is running swollen and muddy from where it branches off the Mississippi, and continues on into April or May. All the rest of the state is reporting the first good catches, in areas not influenced by the river. Though the Atchafalaya Basin is an incredible fishery when it's good, when it's bad it's VERY bad.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:8f6ca]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:8f6ca]

Wow that sounds; well pretty depressing!
    Where I live here in Minn-e-so-ta there are no bad months. That's right; every single month has something fun to do. Like right now I have a choice of ice fishing for panfish, trout fishing the limestone creeks, or chasing salmon, steelhead or kamaloops.
    I keep trying to think of a time that I don't like and all I can come up with is the couple weeks in Jan. when it gets a little cold but I can still go fishing.

I'VE BEEN TRYING ALL THIS COLD WEATHER FLY FISHING STUFF TO NO AVAIL, FINALLY MANAGED TO GET MY STRING STRETCHED LAST WEEK-END, AS JOE SAYS, BETTER SMALL THAN NOT AT ALL. I THOUGHT MARCH WOULD NEVER GET HERE!

+ Reply to Thread