+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peacock Bass

I've had some experience with em down here in s florida. I'd up the streamer size, maybe to 7 inches. Give em a real mouthfull, since it seems what they're looking for.

Isaw Roland Martin fly casting for peacock on the Amazon some time ago. I think he was using really large orange, yellow, and chartruse flies. Hope this helps.

-Joe

upped the flies this week end to 6 inches, used lots of white, green and orange, blue did not work at all. I caught a bunch of 4lb fish and lots of smaller fish but did not get any of the large ones I know are there, I suspect the larger fish are spitting out the fly before I get to set the hook, any advise?

Sharpen hooks.....?
    ....lee s.

nseereeram -- went peacock bass fishing in Feb of 2004 on a tributary of the Amazon. Of the 8 fishermen present on the trip, I was the only one fly fishing. The water was stained....about the color of iced tea. I tied up a mess of flies before going on the trip of all colors, shapes and sizes. The fly I ended up using was so simple but so effective. I used 3/0 hooks and just tied on some white synthetic material (I used EP fibers) of about 4-6" long near the hook eye and then finished the fly off with a red collar. A white rabbit strip with a red collar would do the same. The collar material was unimportant; I used hackle, rabbit strips and/or a synthetic material. You just wanted a red collar on a white streamer style fly. During the 6 day trip, my friend and I caught over 550 fish of which 400 were peacocks. I caught the largest which went 17# and also caught one of 16#, 12# and 8#. The remainder of the fish were in the 3-5# range. I caught all my fish on the fly rod and used a 30" sink tip the entire trip. Getting the fly down to the 5-7' depth seemed to be best.
    Hope this helps -- RAC from ALA

How did the spinning guys do?,last trip I caught more fish but they caught the larger ones.I don't use a sinking tip because the fish hit just below the surface 6-10 inches and since most of the day is spent juping from rock to rock I take only my 6wt and 8wt FTL but will try the STL will post results. I agree colour makes no major difference thats why I was a bit supprised about the blue, however, when it rains and tea becomes diluted they become mote picky.

The other 7 fishermen on the trip used either spinning or bait cating gear to throw 8-12" floating or shallow diving rapala's. Really BIG stuff. As I mentioned previously my partner and I caught ~550 fish of which my contribution was ~ 65-70% of that numbner. My partner used a bait caster and rapala with reasonable sucess. I was also forunate to catch most of the larger fish (4 fish between 17 and 12 #'s). The 17 # fish was the largest fish of the week until the last day when someone caught a 18 # fish while trolling with live bait. Didn't seem fair !? As to the quanity of fish caught , only one other twosome caught more fish than our 550 for the week. During the week I used a 9 wt rod with a 30' sink tip and the fly I descibed previously. I would just cast to the bank amongst the wood and downfalls (a la LMB fishing) and strip back to the boat. When the sink tip portion of the fly line hit the guides I would cast back to a different area along the bank. The sink tip line would get my fly down to 5-7 feet deep which seemed to be about the right depth for the fish.

RAC from ALA

+ Reply to Thread