+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A day EARLY a White Bass short

Default A day EARLY a White Bass short

Yesterday morning I drove an hour to one of the premier white bass fishing spots in Arkansas. Upon arriving, I knew I was in trouble and as there was no one else there. Nonetheless I waded into the river and worked a few kinks (pun intended) out of my cast. The water temperature was 52?. I have read that white bass in Arkansas don't run up the rivers and creeks until the water temperature hits 53.6 which will probably be on Monday when I go back to a busy week at work. Oh well, that is life on the river.

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

[This message has been edited by check your fly (edited 07 March 2005).]

Chuck,
    That's a little different version of what I'm used to. What I usually get is "you should have been here yesterday."

From my experience, the males are kinda wandering about and both sexes are staging in the mouths of creeks and rivers. Some are usually along the mud line (that's the area where the silt and dirt flows out of large or fast creeks into clear lakes.

You can still catch 'em. Crawdad patterns work well during the pre-spawn or pre-pre-spawn. Just a few suggestions. Sinking tip on those crawdads and streamers. I do well on bead head white woolie buggers, White Miller's Streamer, Clousers, white Zonker, Moss Bluff Special and a couple of custom patterns. The Crazydad is a good pattern but I have yet to catch them on it . . . still waiting on some info to respond back to your email, Chuck.

Thanks Panfish

I am going to cruise up the feeder creeks next monday or tuesday (they are refilling Lake Hamilton rhis week) and get after them. I have some nearnuff crawfish and a variety of white flies. I will look up the crazydad, with a nome like that it is worth some attention.

Chuck

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

+ Reply to Thread