+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert, why haven't you asked this ??

Hey Robert - You just THINK I get to fish a bunch. HAH !!! I mostly get to talk about it.
    But Fri. $ Sat. I did get to catch a few good sized Reds, one humongous (for me) Flounder and 10 or 12 Specks up to 5 pounds. It qualified as waaaaay cool fishing. Was fishing with a guide buddy in a howling norther - wind up to 30, rain, cold - but thank goodness the fishies didn't seem to mind. Had to use a 9 weight, and I was wishing fondly for one of the 15 foot two-hander samples in the Suburban back at the boat ramp.
    Personally, I call them by their real names, I guess because I worked so hard as a kid to know the difference between a Longear and a Red (or Yellow) Breast. I get a lot of those funny looks here in Texas when I call a Goggle Eye a Green Sunfish, or call a Mud Perch a Warmouth.
    Cary

Here in New York bluegills are called bluegills, punkinseeds are usually called sunnies. Yellow perch are called perch.

Growing up in the Finger Lakes Region of New York, crappies were Strawberry Bass. You figure.

David

Cary,
    You sound like my son, Matt. He studies his fish and game and knows all their proper names. I'll bet you were like him when you were young. He is a real nature freak. I tell him that at 13, he's a better outdoorsman than I am in many ways. He really observes nature closely. Me, I'm too busy trying to catch my next fish to be a really careful observer like him.

If we start going Latin I'm quiting.

I have sympathy for you guys re fish names but if fish aren't called by their proper names you are going to see more guys, like the trout eliteists, starting to call them all "Coarse Fish".

I was talking to an older gent(82) yesterday, he called 'em "jonny roaches". Hadn't heard that since my grandfather pasted in the '70s.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread