+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BELLY BOATS/PONTOONS

Default BELLY BOATS/PONTOONS

ANY ADVICE ON WHAT IS BEST? I AM TALL AND FAT AND TRIED A ROUND TUBE, VERY UNCOMFORTABLE AND I PROVIDED SOME FINE ENTERTAINMENT ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS ENTERING AND EXITING. I SEE U-BOATS AVERTISED NOW THAT HAVE SEATS RATHER THAN SLINGS AND SUPPOSEDLY PLACE YOU HIGHER AND MORE OUT OF THE WATER. THEN THERE ARE THE PONTOONS AVAILABLE AT SIMILIAR PRICES. I FISH MOSTLY STILL WATER OR VERY SLOW CURRENT AND DON'T HAVE VERY FAR TO TRANSPORT EITHER OPTION.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Last year I used a U shaped tube. I am also big boned, so to speak. I did alright in it but since they don't make waders big enough to fit me I was wet each time I used it. These year I have gotten a pontoon boat with a 400 pound wieght limit. I have yet to used it as there is still ice on the water up here. One trouble I had with the float tube was the wind moved me around prettty good. And once I slipped out of the seat into the lake. Good thing I swim well.

------------------
    Every day that I wake up and everything still works. Is a good day.

I have a belly boat and a pontoon kick boat and for me there is no comparson in comfort, speed, casting position, fish-landing position and general usefulness. The pontoon is much the superior fishing craft and nearly as portable. About the only time I use my belly boat anymore is when space is a factor or if I have a long way to walk to launch.

jalama -

What is the make and model of teh U-boat with the seat?

Thanks.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

ermin -

If you were concerned about the effects of wind on your float tube, you are going to be sorely disappointed when you get out on your pontoon/kick boat.

I strongly suggest you buy a small anchor before you set out on your maiden fishing excursion with your pontoon. 10 lbs. will be more than plenty for stillwater.

Not trying to discourage you, but your pontoon will sit much higher on the water and be much more subject to the whims of the wind.

That said, I have been using a pontoon for the past 3 years and it is much more to my liking than my float tube (which was a U-shaped tube).

Once you get the hang of handling the pontoon, you will be glad that you have it.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

GARY,

ALL IN CABELLA'S, CABELLA'S KAMLOOPS, CREEK COMPANY ODC 420, FISH CAT 4, OUTCAST SUPER CAT FLOAT TUBE, TROUT UNLIMITED BIGHORN, KENNEBEC, AND TOGIAK. IT MAY ONLY BE A MARKETING PLOY. IF YOU CLICK ON ONE OF THE PRODUCTS AND SELECT THE "COMPARE TUBES" OPTION THE DIMENSIONS OF EACH "SEAT" ARE LISTED AS WELL AS OTHER SPECS.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

jalama,
    I've got an Outcast Fish Cat with an inflatable seat. I like it and would recommend it but I'm neither tall nor fat. I like the way the inflatable seat holds me up out of the water in that it makes casting easier. I also have a Caddis tube with a mesh seat that lets my butt set down in the water that I don't like as well.
    I have fished with Poke and the pontoon he's got is really nice. It may be my next toy. You can kick around in it or use the oars. He can really move around in it fast when changing spots.

I used a Trout Unlimited Bighorn U shaped boat. I would always start out going upstream against the wind. That way by the end of the trip and I was tired out. I had the wind helping to push me back to where I had started out at. The two bad things about that was I didn't always get to where I wanted to fish. and the second was one time the wind changed direction and picked up. Almost blew me across the lake.

------------------
    Every day that I wake up and everything still works. Is a good day.

Jalama,
    Just got back from a week on the San Juan. Two of the guys had new pontoons from Cabelas. At the end of the trip I asked each of them if it helped their fishing. They said they had caught more fish than in the previous ten years put together. The 'toons handled well and put them in the right spot all the time to catch fish that us waders couldn't ever get too. They,too, suggest using an anchor in the wind. Al Campbell recommends a Water Skeeter River Tamer. Also, ALWAYS USE A LIFE JACKET!! It saved one of our guys bacon!

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

thanks for the info.
    robert, does poke use his boat in any streams or rivers with current?

buttermilk, were you dealing with current on your recent outing?

does anyone have experience navigating a pontoon upstream for any extended distance, say 300-400 yards against slow current?

+ Reply to Thread