+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WOW!

Default WOW!

A buddy and myself motored up a local river to see what was going on. I had my usual setup for winter river fishing. That is an 8wt with a sinking leader. I was thowing fly rod spoons and jigs. I ended up hooking into many sandbass each one at least 2 lbs and up. Each one took at a minimum 5 minutes to land on an 8wt. They fought very hard and showed much courage. We kept two for a shore lunch. Those two fed two grown men who love to eat. It was a great day of fishing. If you live down south, you might want to check your local rivers for any sandie activity.

Mike B.,
    Congratulations on your catch. Sounds like fun. I appreciate the info. Like you, I'm a big Sandbass fan. They're a super fly rod fish.

What is a Sand Bass??

To KYtroutbum .... If ya live North of about Waco, Texas then a Sand Bass is a White Bass. I'm not sure how far North you have to go before they're called White Bass again, but in virtually all of Oklahoma and in North Texas the folks just kind of look at you like you were speaking Portugese when you "mis-inentify" a Sandie as a White Bass.
    If ya get far enough into Cajun country and ya catch a nice 4 or 5 pound Bass ... well it ain't no Bass at all, it's a Green Trout.
    Cary

Meant to say "mis-identify".
    I'm a helluva good typer I am.

Cary

Like Cary said, here in Oklahoma, very few people know what you mean when you say "White Bass". Around here and in Texas, they're "Sandbass" or "Sandies".

+ Reply to Thread