+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you mostly like to fish alone or with others?

Default Do you mostly like to fish alone or with others?

I mostly fish alone. I like to be able to start when I want and stop when I want. I like to really concentrate on what I'm doing without interruption, totally absorbed in the fishing. I like the silence and the sights and sounds of nature.
    Having said that though, I do enjoy days on the water from time to time with people I like to fish with like my son, Matt, Poke and Okie from this board and some others I've met through the years. Mostly though, I fish alone. It restores my soul. You?

I am a solitary angler because as RObert mentioned fishing is a restorative. Really, I need the alone time to think and reflect on life.

Depends on whose asking and what we're fishing for. Mostly fish alone, though. Have only one fly fishing partner nowadays, since the other fly angler in town moved north. That's Wrangler, who posts here. Most of the other partners are spin fishers, and only one of the bunch is much fun. Fishing, that is. We usually camp and fish rather than do day trips. He cuts wood, I made camp. We both fish from the canoe. Drink fine wine. Lie a little. Make some great meals. Most of the time, though, it's me and my little cedar strip. JGW

I think I am pretty evenly split. I tend to fish alone when I head out at the last minute, you know... "hey the next few hours are free and the weather's wonderful, I'm going fishing and I'm not waiting for someone else to get ready" type of afternoon. I usually fish with someone else if I actually plan the fishing trip ahead of time, you know, like the night before...

Have fun,
    Rex

Robert, flyfishing is my private escape. When I fish with others, I usually take the ultralite spin gear.

Jim

I mostly fish alone only because i dont know anyone else who flyfishes. Whoever i do enjoy fishing with my cousins for the conversation and when you land a big 'un you have a witness, then again when you catch nothing you cant make sumpin up. I also really enjoy the solitude of fishing a stream all alone.

-zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

Mine's a split...I fish a lot with Stonefly Nymph from this board & a few other longtime local friends, although they are not flyfishers. I have plans to fish with a number of folks from this board this year, and I'm really looking forward to that. For me, fishing is a "restorative" as previously mentioned, but when you're fishing with folks who share your mindset, it's so peaceful & relaxing, it's like being alone. That's to say you have a friend to visit with en route & while eating, etc, but the fishing is "solo".
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I generally like to fish alone. But, I've met a couple of guys that I don't mind fishing with over the past year or so

I enjoy fishing alone some of the time, but I love fishing with friends. I always learn something new and the comraderie is always something I can look back on fondly. I love fishing with Buddy, I learn something new or many new things everytime we go out. I rarely remember many of the fish I catch, but always remember my time spent on the water with friends.

Hey Robert,

I mostly fish alone for the simple
    reason that fly fishermen are as scarce
    as hens teeth in these parts. On occasion
    I will take a spin fisher to share the
    waters and my favorite holes just for the
    company.*G* However, I have recently made
    the aquaintance of a very pleasant gent
    nearing retirement that seems to have a
    very strong desire to take up flyfishing.
    We conferred about tackle and he quickly
    got an order off and is working at getting
    proficient at it. I definitly look forward
    to sharing some of my honey holes with him.
    I'm currently putting him together a box of
    flies that have proven effective for me and
    look forward to showing him how to fish
    them. I get as much pleasure from getting
    friends into fish as I do catching them
    myself. Warm regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread