+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish Grabbin?

Default Catfish Grabbin?

[url=http://www.catfishgrabblers.com/GGGMusicVideo300k.wmv:6b07f]Catfish Grabbin?[/url:6b07f] or is it Grabblin? Come on, one of you knows! Not sure if I would wanna try or not.

Don
    Don Rolfson

GRABLIN

I worked with a Mississippi country boy that almost drowned doing that. He went under water and reached into a hollow cyprus stump and a very large catfish ended up grabbing his hand. He couldn't fit the catfish out through the hole in the stump. After a couple of anxious minutes of tugging, he got his hand free. When he checked closer, he found that there was a larger opening on the other side of the stump that the fish used as an exit. He was a lot more careful where he stuck his hands after that. Never the less, it looks like fun to me.

Jim Smith

Better watch out for those Snapping Turtles too!
    Bill

Blog Entries

thanks for sharing that video!

As a boy I had a hard time with the fact that my mother was a school teacher and that we lived in Texas. Grammar and diction sometimes clashed!

Grabblin' could be argued as not a "real" work but it sure seems to work in this case. I suspect that its a local form of "grappling" and 'grabbing".

Those gals sure are having a grand old time. I think I'd enjoy hanging out with them, they'd probably like to try out some fly fishing too.

In closing I will confess that I have passed on every opportunity this lifetime to go grabbling. I just can't poke my hand up under a riverbank without knowing whos there

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:c3ae4]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:c3ae4]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

My uncle called it "noodlin'" and told some scary stories. There was even a show about it on PBS, of all places, not too long ago.

Pulling big old fish out of their holes by putting your arm down their throat sure cuts down on the equipment costs, though.

YUP Tup, Noodl'n is the absolute correct name for it, at least in Oklahoma where I grew up. I also saw a show on ESPN showing some guys doing it. Just never seemed to be the brightest thing to do. But then swimming trot lines at night weren't too bright either, and I did that.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

Tup & Wooly,
    I saw the shows too...think I'll stick to my rods.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

That boys is called noodlin'. It's the areas favorite passtime. Noodlin' cats and snappin turtles my bio teacher is a old pro. The trick to do in it with a turtle is all turltles usually go into a hole head first. You stick your hand in until you feel the shell then you keep your hand flat on the shell and move your hand to the edge and pray you feel the zig zag things by the butt end of the turtle. Grap the tail and pull. Alot of ppl in my family or friends of the family noodle for both. Turtle soup is surprisingly good.

I have noodled one last summer. Didnt like it that much. A big hook and a chicken liver is what i perfer. Ive seen 2 ppl have the cat clamp down on their hand death roll and ware the skin on their wrist. My uncle had his thumb practically skined 2 years ago.

-Zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

Chicken livers for bait??!! Those things were meant to be battered and deep fried! Use some other part for bait - I don't like chicken gizzards, so use them!

------------------
    "I do nothing that a man with unlimited funds, superior physical endurance, and maximum scientific knowledge couldn't do."
    - Batman

+ Reply to Thread