+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STH MR POP Reel

Default STH MR POP Reel

Over the weekend I was looking at one of these reels. I must admit that the spare cassette concept is nice as opposed to carrying a spare spool or reel for that matter. Has anybody fished with these reels and what is your assessment? Would you buy another? My concern would be the line not drying out as quickly since the plastic cassette is not ported.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I own three Sth "pop" reels. I like them a lot. Good drag system, convienent spool changing and pretty light weight. Only draw back is on the #2s and #3s you need a great deal of backing to fill them up. I've been using them for 6 years and they are still as good as they were the day I bvought them. I even used them in salt water a couple times and no problems. Good luck.

I have one reel with 8 cassettes. I have used it for Trout, Smallmouth, Landlocks and some saltwater- speckled sea trout and flounder. I haven't tried it on bones or Steelhead yet. I believe it would be okay thought. I LOVE IT!!! being able to carry floating, sinktip, full sinking and some lead core heads. The only problem I've encountered was getting finely blown beach sand between one cassette and the reel's "spindle" while working the surf and being negligent at cleaning it. The sand dug into the plastic and made the cassette hard to switch. I had to discard the cassette. I have never had any problems with other cassettes. I used the reel on the Outer Banks daily for 3 weeks this summer.

I would replace it another STH reel if the need occurred. Its been fished in a wide range of situations- Mt.Streams to Outer Banks sloughs. Just be sure to take the cassette out and CLEAN THE REEL carefully between uses. Great VALUE for the price!!!

anglerdave -

I have two STH Pop Cassette reels. One for my 5 wt. and one for my 9 wt. I have been very satisfied with them. I have used the larger reel in the salt with no adverse effects. Like anything used around saltwater, thorough cleaning is a requisite.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

Thanks for the feed back. I probably should have looked more seriously at these reels a year ago. I bought a Ross C4 out of impulse for my 8wt. A spare spool is $88. Ouch! But I am getting a new 6wt rod and these reels look just like what I need.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

anglerdave
    I've been using the STH Cassette reels on the TX coast and lakes for over 6 years now with no problems. IMO,a super reel for a great price.

Good Day sir. I was the Rep. for STH for 8 years. Gary loomis took the idea to STH and the first cassette reels out were made for Looomis. (they were a bust) I worked for Gary at the time and we had a bunch of trouble with that reel. It sold for 250.00 Gary went a differant way But STH continued the design, improved it and now it is a great reel. I have one of there turbin drags I use all of the time. I also use a lever drag for Steelhead some.

Rich

8. Default

Just in case you didn't get enough positive feedback, I love mine as well.

Jambalaya

Have the sth pop on 3wt, 5wt with cassettes and I am very happy. I fished the 3wt hard for bass and gills last year it performed flawlessly.

Philip

------------------
    I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long.' - Allison Moir.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread