+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lay ed back fly fishing

Default lay ed back fly fishing

i can fish for trout or warm water fish but i like the warm water fishing more as i get older,its just more lay ed back.
    no hurry normally to match the hatch, [bass can be selective at times],if the bass dint hit the sun fish family will,, does anyone else find this to be true ?

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Trout? What are trout? Aren't they those little fishies that sip tiny bugs off of the surface? 99% of the fly fishing I do is in warm water. I'm so laid back when I'm fly fishing that I can cast with one hand and take a long pull on a cold beer with the other.

Now after all that b.s. I think for the most part warm water fly fishing is a little more laid back. But for you trout guys and gals that lurk over here on the wwb and you know who you are, notice I didn't say more relaxing.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Guys,

I do really prefer to catch my trout AFTER the bass has eaten them....

However, all in all, it depends totally on the fisherman. I tend to take my bass/warmwater fly fishing pretty seriously. I fish from a boat, take lots of equipment, spend many fun hours designing/testing/refining flies, expect to do well. It's still fun, though, but it 'matters' to me to be able to catch a bass. I'll spend some time 'figuring out' just what works for that day. When I do, I feel like I've done something worthwhile. I love doing it. AND, I'll stick with it, and if it doesn't work feel like I learned something valuable anyway...

I spend the summer months in Colorado. No warmwater species close to where I am. Trout all over the place.

I'll go out on the lake (it's a quater of a mile from my cabin door and the boat is on the trailer parked right next to the top of the ramp..) with one or two rods. Cast a 'bugger or streamer for trout. Catch some. If they aren't biting, I'm on the trailer and into a good book pretty quickly (20 minutes max).

I'll drive to a small stream. One rod, small box of dry flies in a shirt pocket. Catch brook trout all day. Fun, actually REALLY fun, but if I'm NOT catching fish, I'd just leave. AND, I wouldn't care a bit. I'd not try to 'match' some egg thingy (hatch? like chickens do?). 'Figuring it out' would be WAY too much trouble, even while I know it won't be close to the challenge of figuring out the bass. These are trout, you know? Who really cares? If they ain't biting now, I'll try again in the morning, next evening, whenever.

If it's not 'easy' and it's trout, it ain't for me. I won't fish for hours to catch one like I will with bass.

So, for me, 'laid back' is what trout are for. Bass and bluegills are much too important for that.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:8bd94]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:8bd94]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

yes, but that sunfish family lays low during the winter. Love them, tho.

Buildsrods,
    I think whether or not your ww flyfishing is "laid back" depends a lot on your personality. "Laid back" to date is not in my vocabulary. Maybe when I get a little older. Whether I'm wading, tubing or fishing from my float tube, I'm usually moving if I'm not catching fish. I like to cover a bunch of water whether I'm trout fishing or ww fishing. When in Colorodo, if possible, I'll power walk for an hour up stream usually before I even start fishing just to get away from others.
    But to answer your question, I do agree with you that in general trout fishermen seem to be a little more, shall we say, "intense" than ww anglers unless, of course, you consider ww tournament fishermen who are very intense.

Robert McMahan, I'll power walk for an hour up stream usually before I even start fishing just to get away from others.
    thats one point of layed back if i ww fish i can enter the river at any point and fish,never see any one else with a long rod,wile your walking i can be fishing

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

I can't see a lot of difference. Some of the most strenuous fishing I do is from my float tube fishing for bass in windy water or stalking the shore line for tailing carp. I don't think I've ever been that tired river wading for cold water species. And some of the most laid back fishing I've done is dead drifting a nymph for trout.

I prefer bass/panfish fishing over trout by far. I hate battling for spots on the river and find it much more relaxing in the middle of a pong somewhere in my tube or toon. Trout must have some mysteical appeal, but they seem pretty boring to me.

It might be because I grew up and lived in Texas the majority of my life and was only recently transplanted to Utah (some great trout fishing in and around this area). Personally I would rather catch carp than trout any day, not even considering bass in the equation.

cclaeys,,understands what layed back fishing is.

I've made folks mad at me before with this, and will do it again, but trout are stupid fish. Bass are much harder to catch. I've fished for most species of both, and will say to my dying day that bass are smarter. I realize that this will cost me some trouting friends, but in my humble experience, it's true. BASS ARE SMARTER!!!!

+ Reply to Thread