+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spoon blanks

Default spoon blanks

Hi all! I've been fishing 1/50 fly rod spoons lately. These spoons have been hanging on the wall of one of our local fly shops in the "lure section" for awhile. So one day I decided to give them a try. They come in the "old school" sheet of cardboard with the individual spoons in small plastic bags. The way most of those great old lures use to come. These little gems cast like a dream on my 8 wts with a bass bug line and bass/pike leader (floating or sinking), and have incredible action in the water. But there are several problems: 1) They only come in gold 2)They have treble hooks on them that I have replaced with a single hook with chartreuse marabou tied on it, and 3) The fly shop owner doesn't like dealing with the man who made these so when they run out they wont be replaced 4) They are a tad bit expensive for my taste.

So I'm looking for some 1/50 spoon blanks but havn't been able to find any. I have made fly rod spoons by drilling with a 1/32 drill bit at the end on a spinner blade and attaching a split ring then a hook but I've not been to impressed with thier action. Has anyone ran across any tiny spoon blanks? Thanks for your help.

Mike B

Most of the spoon fly pattern recipes I've seen are too difficult and messy for me.

Example: [url=http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/Spoon_fly_1.htm:abcbd]http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/Spoon_fly_1.htm[/url:abcbd]

I like this Bullet Bob Spoon idea a little better (not quite as messy and uses holographic tape instead of stretched mylar tubing): [url=http://www.geocities.com/clinscott_pfl/BBspoon.html:abcbd]http://www.geocities.com/clinscott_pfl/BBspoon.html[/url:abcbd]

If you decide to coat the spoon fly with epoxy to make it durable, it would probably be best if you rotated the fly on a low rpm motor so that the fly body dries with the proper shape.

Best of luck.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 13 February 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

idabelangler
    I build my Spoon Flys in much the same way that Bullet Bob does. The instructions that he gives are pretty complete. The only thing that I can see that he left out was mentioning the fact that you have to bend your hook shanks to get the curve that's necessary to get the spoons to wobble. You might have to experiment a little to get the right curvature. Too little and they won't wobble, too much and they'll spin.
    I use Glow-in-the-dark Flashabou as a tailing material. It's tough as nails and has plenty of flash.

Mike,

Another option is to make a spoon fly with artificial fingernails. I've seen this done and you can paint them up anyway you want. You can also shape them with an emory board to whatever shape you want. I did a google search for 1/50 oz spoons but could only find some 1/30 oz spoons at [url=http://www.staminainc.com/spoon_blanks/Tiny_Spoon.html.:774e7]http://www.staminainc.com/spoon_blanks/Tiny_Spoon.html.[/url:774e7] You might also look at some of the blades for bass lures that are found at Netcraft.

TxEngr

Thanks for all the comments and links guys! I've made many spoon flys in the past from cave wobblers to break thru spoons (it's identical to Bullet Bob's Spoon) all the way to using the fake fingernails. They were all fun to make and looked very pretty but paled in comparison to an honest to goodness metal spoon like a daredevil or johnson spoon. These little spoons I've been fishing are metal spoons that weight 1/50 of a ounce. I was looking for metal spoon blanks or at least a mold to pour my own. Thanks again!

TxEngr How's the new job going? I hope they are treating you right and I hope Paris is to your liking as well. We need to get together one day, maybe after work, since the days are getting longer. Two weeks ago I got into some incredible sandbass action just a few miles from your job. I love sandies on a fly rod! Also if your not aware of it Sid at Beavers Bend fly shop is having a get together on the 26th this month. Also Jesse at Three Rivers Flyshop and I are putting on fly tying classes every thursday night at his store. You are very welcome to come to all these events if you want. I hope you are getting a little fishing in!

Mike B

Mike,

I'm not sure how much they weigh, but have you looked at the ice fishing spoons that are available?

I think that you'd have to drill them (most require 'soldering' to the hook, which may be the way to go for you...), but they look light enough.

Just a thought. Places like Jann's Netcraft, Barlows, and Cabelas sell these...

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:cce21]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:cce21]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Try spoon minnows from Kreel Tackle They come in various colors and sizes 1,2,4,6. The larger size 1 spoon minnows come with aweed guard built in. There are made of microfiber and high-density epoxy. The spoon-shaped front and the flexible but tough tail gives the fly amazingly realistic action.

I have taken SMB bluegill, channel cat fish, crappies, and a skipjack in southwest Ohio. I typically throw the size 4 or 6 spoon minnows on a 6 wt with WFF line with no problem. you can see them on the following website: [url=http://WWW.kreeltackle.com.:0d774]WWW.kreeltackle.com.[/url:0d774]

------------------
    OLDREF

Mike,

The job is going well, just a lot of hours. I've managed to make it up to the LMF a few times including last Friday after work and Saturday a.m. Saturday was a bust since I didn't get there til 9:30 am and the bait chunkers had pretty much wiped out every hole on spillway and put the fish down for the rest of the day. I plan to make it up to Sid's shindig that Saturday if at all possible, so we'll have to keep an eye out for each other! We definitely need to get together and fling some flys!

TxEngr (aka Buddy Price)

I've managed to find some nickel spoon blanks in the 7/8" size I think these will be a close match. The metal is cut in the same pattern as the spoons I buy. I hope to get them in and some made before the sandies run up river. Next week is the full moon so we should start seeing some fish (no sandbass) move up the rivers.

Buddy Price last saturday we fished every river in McCurtain county except the lower mountain fork. But we did make it up to Sid's on sat. I guess we missed each other. See you at the get together!

Mike B.

Mike,

I was over at the Little Mo' Festival this weekend and ran into a guy who makes his fly spoons from old coke cans. He traces out the pattern onto the aluminum, cuts it out with scissors, and shapes it with a small ball peen hammer on a piece of leather. He then uses a small amount of expoxy to mount the hook and finishes the spoon however he wants. For red, just use a coke can, for silver a coors can, etc. He also uses other items with a small amount of epoxy. These things are LIGHT. I got a sample to show you if we get together next weekend at BB. The tyers name is Don Lawler from Shreveport LA.

B. Price (TxEngr)

+ Reply to Thread