+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 6wt line question??

Default New 6wt line question??

I have a 9' 6wt St. Croix Pro Graphite that I use solely for warm water fishing. I would say that it is a moderate/fast action rod leaning more to the moderate side. I'm about to get a new line for it as the cheapo one has about had it. I do throw some large poppers, Clousers and Buggers for Largemouths. Does anyone have experience with the Rio Clouser line?? Would you recomend it?? Are there any other fly lines that I should consider bearing in mind that I will be using this in 90 plus degree Georgia summer heat??
    Thanks in advance, everyone here has always helped with my questions,
    bd

------------------
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if
    you're stupid"-
    John Wayne

[This message has been edited by bonedog (edited 16 February 2005).]

I have been using the BassPro CV2 line on my 3 and 4 weight. I live in Central Texas and know HEAT in the summer. I too fish warm water as there is little other water to fish. I really like this line and I think it is only about $20.00. On my 6wt, I have Orvis Silver Line, which I think retails for about $40. I have had that line quite awhile and really like it as well.

[This message has been edited by millerwb (edited 16 February 2005).]

I have used the tropical version of the Clouser line and really liked it.

The Rio Mainstream Saltwater line has a similar taper to the Clouser line and runs about $25 less. I think it is available down to a 7wt which would work fine with your rod (in my opinion).

I also just had to make that same decission for my 7 weight.With a little bit of research
    on taper designs, I decided on the S.A. bass bug mastery series.In theory it should turn over big flys but with greater distace than the clouser line.(Be advised this is just theory from an idiot with no scientific basis!)I can not wait to try it out.Its been a loooong winter.
    Good luck on your decission!

bonedog

I use the RIO Clouser on my 8wt. Not a bad line. It's the first specialty line I have thrown. Some feel that you can get bye with a standard weight forward line. Where I think the Clouser shines is in very windy conditions and when throwing big heavy flies. Another good line that I have found that I use on my 5wt for smaller bugs and wooolly buggers is SA's Headstart. It has a heavier head than a standard weight forward line. I think it would do well for what you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by anglerdave (edited 17 February 2005).]
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I use the Rio Clouser line on my #9 weight Orvis Clearwater. It's a very good line for throwing big, heavy stuff at warmwater fish. I wouldn't take it on a trout stream but I strongly recommend it for overweight,air-resistent bugs. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 17 February 2005).]

One other thing that I forgot to mention about the RIO Clouser line. It will naturally throw a more open loop which is an advantage when throwing bigger bugs and such. It is also a very subtle line in that I have not had any problems with it kinking and it also floats extremely well. For warm water applications I think it is a good line.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a SA bass taper mastery on a 7 wgt Fenwick rod that will - I think - turn over mid-sized rodents if I have to. Seriously, I think the trick is a bass taper on a strong-tipped, somewhat slower rod. I bought the Fenwick in the early to mid 90's and I guess it's probably a moderate-fast rod. Anyway, I've never found a Clouser Minnow or popping bug that I can't turn over with it - in wind or not.

Thanks to all, these are the kinds of responses I was hoping for. Any and all comments and advice welcome.
    Thanks,
    bd

+ Reply to Thread