+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REELS

Default REELS

WHAT TYPE OF REEL IS REQUIRED FOR WARMWATER FISHING FOR BLUEGILL AND CRAPPIE?

I have a ton of fun with my three weight outfit. Some folks go the the two or one weight. I just purchased a one weight, so when that weather warms I will be tossing flies with that to the bluegills. It would have to be a big panfish to get you into the backing of any reel. No sense spending really big bucks. I have an old Pflueger 1774 Progress on one of my three weights. Got it for ten bucks and the line for twelve.

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 17 February 2005).]

When fishing for panfish the reel is nothing more than a place to store your line. You can spend $10 or several hundred it's you choice.
    Have fun they are a blast!

As Fly_Line mentioned, the reel is used for nothing more than storing line. You don't need an expensive reel for bluegill and crappie. I have an Okuma Sierra that for the money is a darned good reel. I've seen them for $26 to $50. Hook&Hackle a sponsor here sells them. Also if there is a Sportsmans Warehouse near you they carry them as well. I think the Cabelas Prestige reel is the same reel.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Like most everything about flyfishing, it's more a matter of preference than requirement. Personally, I use a disk drag reel for panfish. Not because I need it for the fish, but because I like that feature on a reel.

I've got my eye on the ultralite version of this reel, and hope to check it out soon.
    [url=http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44559&hvarDept=175&hvarE vent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=bro wse:3b742]BPS_ultralite[/url:3b742]

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 17 February 2005).]

I use a Scientific Anglers System 1 ($20 click-and-pawl) on my 2 weight rod and use it for panfish of all sizes as well as bass and carp. It works for me. The spindle started getting a little rusty on me, so I just put a couple drops of 10-W30 motor oil on it and haven't had any trouble since. Don't need any drag for the little fish, and for the big ones I can palm just fine, thank you.

Jim,

That's a pretty reel, but I'm not sure why they call it "ultra light". It's weight is no different than similar reels. I'm going to Bass Pro for their big spring sale next week, so I'll have to check it out.

That BPS Classic UL reel is very sweet. I just got the black version and it weighs all of 2.2 ounces. It is very small and would work very well on any lightweight rod. The fit and finish are excellent and it is a beautiful reel. I have it loaded with a DT3F and will fish it on several different rods.

Lou

Lou & Jim,

My bad! I was looking at the wrong reels. I'll definitely have to check out the UL version!

Jalama,

To answer your question honestly, NO reel is 'required' for fly fishing for panfish.

You could easily fish for panfish with the line wrapped around a piece of carboard stuffed in your pocket. Just unwind what you need to cast, and that's it. You can also take some thin sheet metal or wire, bend it so that you have a simple cleat that fits the reel seat on your rod, and just wind the line around that.

Reels would be more efficient and convenient, but you don't NEED one.

So, ANY reel will work just fine. Use what you have, buy a cheapie, or decide you want one of those engineering marvels and pop for $500. All up to you. Doesn't matter even a little.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:4e6dd]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:4e6dd]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread