+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRHE for Brim.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thanks to everyone for your input. It looks like we have pretty good agreement on sized #12, #14, & maybe #16. I will definitly whip up a couple of dozen GRHE in those sizes. I will also take Peter's suggestion and try a few in larger size. I tend to agree with Peter that larger sizes can work well, plus they are more attractive to bass. Brim that can take a # 8 Wooly Bugger shouldn't have too much trouble with a #8 GRHE.

Jim, thanks so much invitation to join you on Lake Moultrie. I would love to try out some your legendary fish and pick up a few tips from the master. I will definitely take you up on the offer this spring or early summer.

Peter, I tie my brim gurgle pops in #12 and #8. My #8s are tied with a double strip of foam to increase floating ability. They are big. I get lots of big brim and bass on them. I call the single strip gurgle pops "low riders." I also tie bass gurgle pops in #4, #2, #1/0 and #2/0 (all with double foam strips) As you can see, I like big flies for my warmwater fishing.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions. 8T

Looks like I'm a bit late, but I'll go ahead and jump in with my $0.02 worth. I fish PT Nymphs, Hare's Ears, etc., also, with a heavy helping of scud and freshwater shrimp patterns. I don't like to go smaller than #12's because of the problem of deep hooking with the smaller flies. Sometimes it's necessary to go to the smaller sizes, but it's a last resort for me.

+ Reply to Thread