+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold weather gear tips.

Default Cold weather gear tips.

I "discovered" a new addition to my cold weather gear that I really, really like so far. A hunting friend turned me on to it. It's long underwear called Under Armor. I've tried some other brands of polypro underwear that's supposed to keep you warm and wick the moisture away from your body but so far, I've been dissappointed 'till now. The other stuff I tried did wick the moisture away but it wasn't as warm as my cotton underwear. This stuff does what it claims to do. It's very warm and it wicks away the clammy sweat that makes you cold. It comes in 3 flavors. Cold gear, which is what I have, warm gear, and loose gear. Unless you're built like an olympic swimmer or like Ohiotuber (ie flat belly with well developed abs) get 2 sizes larger than you wear. I wear a large and I got 2XL and it fits just right. I've only tried the tops and not the bottoms. My upper body is what sweats and gets cold, not my lower body, so I'm still wearing my cotton long underwear on the bottom. Beware, this stuff ain't cheap but it's worth it in my opinion. And no, I don't work for them, don't even know where the stuff is made.
    Got any cold weather gear tips you'd care to share? I'm always looking for a way to stay out in the field or on the water longer in cold weather.
    Robert

Very expensive, and certainly not the only brand of LJ's that work. Any quality polypro works fine.

nighthawk Guest

Robert,
    Make certain that your jacket is lined with mylar. A good thinsulate jacket with mylar will let water vapor out and keep you very dry. This is a great combo with your new underware. Under Armor may not be cheap until you think about how many pairs of the other types you will buy before you have to replace your Under Armor.

nighthawk Guest

Try this web site;
    [url=http://www.goldmanbros.com/gc/customer/home.php:e7e48]http://www.goldmanbros.com/gc/customer/home.php[/url:e7e48]

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Hey Robert,
    Yeah, I've got well developed abs alright!...that's "abs", as in "A Beer Stomach". I figured out years ago that if blubber is good enough for whales, it's good enough for me! NATURAL insulation.
    Thanks buddy,
    Mike

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 01 February 2005).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

not much of a tip but when you buy wading shoes get them big enough that your feet are loose inside and can circulate well. That will aid in keeping them warm. All the fancy socks and waders will be far less effective if your feet are constricted and cannot circulate well enough to distribute warmth via bloodflow.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:64183]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:64183]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Robert, et. al.,

I find that good transportaion is the key to cold weather fishing success.

Comfortable seats, one or more good friends, conversation that goes with that, plenty of room for the gear, good music on the CD, a good heating/AC device, cruise control.

Then DRIVE TO WHERE IT AIN'T COLD!!!!!

Geezzz, I must be spoiled....

Good Luck!

Buddy (toasty in Arizona)

------------------
    Tie flies beyond the resistance of mortal trout!
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Robert, I got a pair of these gloves last fall as a gift from my wife. I wasn't sure at first, but when I had to put my hands in the water I realized they're fantastic. I ask her how she found about them she said a kayaker told her. I will be getting the socks next there're fully immersible. Pete
    [url=http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml:29515]http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml[/url:29515]

Pete,
    Which gloves do you have? The ones lined with polar fleece or the regular ones? Can you handle your fly line with them on? Please let me know here or by email how the socks work out. I'm interested. Thanks.

Robert, Sorry it's so long between posts...have work sometime and my youngest son had high school hockey game. The gloves...I have the short one $32.95 No fleece,I just noticed there're on sale three bucks off. Yes you can handle your fly line lots of dexterity. You stay dry & warm with these gloves. We went ice fishing last weekend and every time someone wanted a minnow they used my gloves to reach into the pail. I know the socks will be good too because you stay dry when under water.

+ Reply to Thread