+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Local Watershed Council

Default Local Watershed Council

The Calapooia River (Oregon) flows thru my little town. Its origin is in the Cascade Mountains and it is a lovely stream until it hits the flats in the valley. The chinook salmon are gone. For years the Fish & Wildlife stocked the river with planter trout, but they ceased doing that about ten years ago. THe plan was to nuture the small wild steelhead run in the river. I caught one trout locally two years ago. Last year I caught dozens. This year I am guessing it will be even better. Why has this occurred?THere is a local group called the Oregon Watershed Council. They came to town and made grassroots presentations to the City Council and really to anyone who would listen. Four years and here is the adopted plan.
    1. removal of the dam a mile upstream from town. Repair the stream bed at the location. There is a natural rapids there that will be fixed. Kayakers are already enthusiastic.
    Presently, the so-called fish ladder is a joke. How the steelhead make it upstream is a testament to their instinct and stamina.

2. continue planting of native trees, grasses and shrubs. This is three years ongoing now and with the cooperation of many streamside ranchers and farmers. I have hiked the river for several miles and have seen improvements.

3. remove or greatly modify two small dams downstream from town. These were built decades ago to supply flow to the Boston Mill where local folks had their grain processed. The State of Oregon has purchased the property for a park. There will be a much smaller flow for possible demonstration purposes and most of the water will be redirected into the main river.

This is a brief description of how a few people can achieve great things. The dam removals and modifications, the streambed repair and the fish ladder fixing will be funded by grants.
    This is a stunningly wonderful thing and I am happy for the fish, for the gorgeous Calapooia River and of course for me and anyone who enjoys the river.
    It is possible to make things better.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

You are right. People can change things for the better if they want to. Hopefully things will change before a point of no return is reached. Congrats.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Just terrific - local businesses can make a difference too. In Grayling Mi, our 'home waters' the local fly shop and canoe rental (The Fly Factory) has been having an annual picnic and bbq which has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for stream restoration and improvements on the Au Sable and Manistee Rivers. Folks come from literally all over the world to attend and spend their money at the event. We have attended as have other FAOL folks.

In one example, they raised the matching funds to upgrade the local sewage treatment plant!

Local people can make a serious difference!
    Get involved.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

We are not in trout country, but a nearby community, Appleton, MN, recently removed an old mill dam and recreated a beautiful rapids. Many of the old "rough" fish are gone and the rapids and upper river now have a great walleye habitat, and there is talk of reintroducing smallies to the Pomme de Terre River. This has spawned kayaking through the town and a kayak outfitter is considering buying an old bank building to set up shop. Can we say "economic development?" JGW

white 43:

Let me know when the Smallmouth are a healthy enough population, to go fishing there.

Back in the late 1940's and early 1950's there was a small group of people, trying to save the area around Ely Minnesota, from being carved up by resorts and private interests. The group proposed a Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness . Sigrid Olson (President of the local community college in Ely, was despised by most of his life long friends and most of the towns citizens, for his work. But today the town of Ely Minnesota is famous around the world at the gateway to a very special place, called the BWCAW!

Yes one person, still can make a difference. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread