+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933 -1942)

Default CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933 -1942)

When we go fishing, or out and about in the "Great Outdoors", it is a time to remember the Unsung Hero's, that made most of our local Sate Parks and Forests.

1930's were hard times, and 25% of the young men ( between the ages of 18 to 25) had no work. The men got paid $1 per day, $30 dollars per month. They live in CCC Camps, got to keep $5 to live on for the month, the other $25 was sent home. They got 3 square meals a day, work clothing, and a bunk.

Nothing at the Canteen, cost more than a Nickel, and each camp had its own newspaper reporting on everything happening in the camp, from the number of patients the doctor treated and their ailments (tonsillitis, measles, mumps, pneumonia, appendicitis, scarlet fever, removal of a big toe, and acute gold bricking!)

In the nine year that the CCC was in operation, they gave work to 3.5 million men, who worked out of 4,500 camps nationwide. They built 125,000 miles of roads, developed 800 state parks, planted 3 billion trees and sent home $662,000,000 to their families.

The camps were run by U.S. Army Personnel, and when December 7th, 1941 happened, most of the men of the CCC, were to first to enlist into the military.

The CCC Camps they had built, became the POW Camps for German soldiers.

The men of the CCC were taught by Local Experienced Men, how to cut and lay native stone, weld metal, cut down huge pine trees and turn the logs into building material, how to prune trees, cut underbrush, and build forest fire lookout towers.

The roadway through the Smokey Mountains, is a CCC Project. There are many more scattered nationwide, the work these men did, was build to last many lifetimes, for the future generations to enjoy.

To those who served in the CCC...."Thank You for Your Service!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 09 January 2006).]

But did they have to plant those 3 billion trees all in a row???? A good sign of " the CCC were here" is a grove of tall straight pines meticulously spaced equally apart in every direction. Now If I were there............

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

We know Marco....if you were there the rows would all bend to the right.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hey, they built one of my favorite spots, Granite Hot Springs pool!!!

And I have found some rather straight rows of trees in a few spots also.

One of My wife's uncles on her stepdads side was in the CCC in Wyo. and stayed on because he liked the country

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney
    Wyo-Blizzard

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The CCC did a lot for this area in N. Ga. In fact, one of the streams, Holly Creek, is right off of CCC Camp Road.

My Brother-In-Law worked for the CCC in his younger days, as did my Father and Uncles.

Salute!

Semper Fi!

Hey there rainbowchaser;
    I have photographic proof that I have "some" left leaning trees even as close as in my county. I had one once in my own yard but it swayed way too much even in the slightest breeze mostly to the left so it got
    "the ax" .That, all being said, the CCC was probably the best run "welfare" program the US has ever initiated.It helped without humiliating the participants.

Mark
    PS: Judging by the response to my last post, I should add herein a disclaimer stating that the above statement( almost all of it) is intended to be humor only. NO inference regarding ANY religious preference or political affiliation should be drawn from it. Also, NO inference of scorn regarding the post to which this is a response should be drawn.Any conclusions other than those in the intent stated above are entirely in the mind of the reader and a figment of his/her interpretation/imagination.

Given the opportunity; would young people today offer 2 years of their lives to do this?

Would retired people give 2 years to do this?

Generations of outdoorsmen have enjoyed their work. Can this be replicated?

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

You mean service to the country like the "America-Corps"?... Seem to remember Carter brought that up being similar to the CCC....and it's still out there isn't it?

I thought all trees leaned with the wind, atleast a little.
    The cottonwoods on the ranch in Farson all lean a bit to the East as the wind usually blows from the West!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney
    Wyo-Blizzard

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

You could count me in. I'd volunteer in a heart-beat. I already do volunteer clean-up with the Army Corps of Engineers, the Georgian DNR, and the U.S. Foresrty Dept. I also help maintain trails with the Dalton Bicycle Club and NORBA.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread