+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a friendly Heads Up.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Just a friendly Heads Up.

I've just become aware of the fact that many people do not know of something that I thought was common knowledge all these years.

In addition to my other talents, I am a semi-retired professional chef. I interned at K-Pauls in New Orleans. A major ingredient in most cooking is Tabasco style-hot sauce. The reason I have always used only McIlhenny's is first, it is the only Real Tabasco Sauce, since the only real Tabasco peppers only grow on Avery Island in La. and it is owned by the McIlhenny family. But the main reason is that even before it was cool to be environmentally conscious, the McIlhenny family has always donated a portion of the proceeds from each bottle of sauce to saving Americas Wetlands, which includes some prime fly-fishing areas. So if you have a choice on hot sauces, you might give them a little extra consideration on your next purchase. Right now, they are funneling a large amount of money and resources into helping restore and repair the ravaged La. coastline. You can check it out at [url=http://www.americaswetland.com,:406c4]www.americaswetland.com,[/url:406c4] and [url=http://www.TABASCO.com.:406c4]www.TABASCO.com.[/url:406c4]

I salute you once again, McIlhennys! Keep up the good work!

Semper Fi!

Gigmaster:

From a member of the "Old Guard" to a member of the "Devil Dogs, ....Hooyah! Thank you for your service.

I ran a 1000 troop dining facility (mess hall)in the U.S. Army, that had fallen on some hard times, and was tasked to make the troopers happy with their chow. You comment on the Tabasco Sauce, reminded of my days in running menu for 1000 picky troops.

First thing I did, was confiscate all the "Hot Sauce" Bottle in the building, and inform the "Cook's" that if I caught them with a bottle of "Hot Sauce", they would lose two stripe immediately, and be hanging off the back-end of a Garbage Truck (Until Hell Freezes Over, or the Cubs win the World Series).

Second thing I did was burn all the U.S. Army Recipe Cards. Good Food was coming in off of the trucks at the back door, but something was happening between the trucks and the serving line.

Had everyone write home for the families recipes, how can you have home cooking, if they don't give me the recipes? Anyway! It got to a point in time, we had to ID the troops eating in our Dining Facility, because everyone on base wanted to eat at "Parnelli's"

Parnelli's Dry Rub
    {Great for Steaks, Ribs, Chicken, Pork Chops,...even good on Corn Flakes!)

3 parts Paprika.
    2 parts Cayenne Pepper
    1 part Onion Powder
    1 part Garlic Powder
    1 part Oregano (fine)
    1 part Thyme (fine)
    1 part Black Pepper (fine)

~Parnelli

How about sharing some of your recipes guys. I love that kind of stuff. Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Oh, you would've hated my unit. I was a sniper in the 3rd Recon/5th Battalion. Not only did we all carry personal small bottles of McIlhenny's, we even had special belt holders that went on out duty belts to hold them in. I still have a few of the mini bottles we were issued. I understand they are collector items now. That was the only way to make a can of C-rats edible in the field.

I went to Chef School (Scottsdale Culinary Institute) after I got out of the Corps, on the old GI Bill (where they just payed for everything).

Ok, here's the recipes I used when I interned at K-Pauls in New Orleans for world-class jambalaya. Actually, this is an adaption of the recipe that was the 1978 World Championship winner, prepared by Chef "Dee" Gautreau, from Gautreau's Cajun Catering in Gonzales, La. Warning: this is the real brown-colored Opaloussa-style that cajuns eat, rather than the Creole-style, red tomato-based New Orleans style they serve to tourists.

One hen, cut into serving pieces (I use 3- 4 lbs of deboned chicken meat, cut into bite sized pieces. Just bake some leg/thigh quarters and debone them when cooked, then follow the rest of the recipe. It's just as good and less messy to
    eat)
    2 lbs. Andoulle or smoked sausage, cut in
    diagonal 1/2" thick round slices.
    3 cups long grain rice (Zatarans)
    1/4 cup oil
    3 med onions chopped fine
    6 cups water, or chicken broth
    1 tbsp salt
    2-1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1 tsp mixed ground pepper (black,
    white and red, or just black if desired)
    1 tsp cayenne (optional)
    2 tbsp McIlhenny's Tabasco Sauce (only
    McIlhenny's, not Bullseye, Lousiana or
    those other imposters)

In a large soup pot, fry the chicken in the oil until nicely browned. Remove the chicken, leaving the oil, and set aside. Add onions to the pot and fry until golden brown. Return the chicken to the pot and add 6 cups water or chicken broth. Add the remaining ingredients, except the rice, and simmer covered until the veggies are tender. If necesary, add water to maintain the level in the pot. Add rice and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Turn rice (not stir) gently and simmer for 15 more minutes covered or until rice is tender. Turn off the fire, turn the rice once more and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with cornbread or biscuits. Makes about 6-8 huge servings.

Jambalaya is at it's best when it is highly seasoned, so don't be shy with the red pepper. When adding salt, the water should taste a little too salty, because the rice will absorb a lot of the salt. There are few things worse than bland Cajun Food!

Bon Appeitite, and Semper Fi!

[This message has been edited by Gigmaster (edited 09 January 2006).]

Here's another one that's fairly easy to make, but it is exquisite. I have used this as a resume for a few restaurant jobs in the past. It's a company-pleaser!

Quick Bisque

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 med onion, chopped fine
    1 rib celery, chopped fine
    1 med bell pepper (color of your choice), chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic, chopped fine, or 2 tsp garlic powder.
    1-1/2 cups chicken stock (instant is OK).
    1/4 cup of your favorite white wine (optional)
    1 jar (26 oz.) Bertolli Tomato & Basil sauce (do not substitute another brand. They won't work!)
    1 jar (16 oz.) Bertolli Creamy Alfredo Sauce (no substitute).
    1 lb. shrimp, uncooked and de-veined (fresh, frozen or canned), crab meat (canned is OK, use 2 cans)or canned clams, or oyster, lobster, crawfish, paella mix seafood, squid, octopus or fresh-caught fish cut into chunks, or cans of tuna, mackerel or sardines. I've even used carp in this and it works wonderfully. And any mixture of the above is OK, as well. Use your creativity and imagination! Also, mushrooms work well for a vegetarian dish, as does fried or grilled tofu, or zucchini. I've done it all!
    McIllhenny's Tabasco Sauce to taste

In a 3 qt. sauce pan or soup-pot, heat olive oil over med-high heat and cook onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Stir in chicken stock and wine (if desired). Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat to med-high and simmer 3 minutes. Add sauces and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until the bisque is heated through. Stir in seafood, or mushrooms, or your signature main ingredient and simmer until the meat or other ingredient is cooked through (shrimp will turn pink). Stir in McIllhenny's. Garnish with parsley, or basil sprinkled lightly on top. Serve with hot garlic bread or bread sticks and a side-salad. Compliment with a glass of good, chilled dry and crisp white wine, or well-made iced tea.

Serves 8
    Prep and cooking time: < 1 hour

Y'all will love this!

OK, one more and I'll quit for a while. Y'all found my weak spot!

I learned to make this when I was in Southeat Asia. Its the way they make rice pudding and it is absolutely delicious...nothing like what we eat over here! The main ingrediemt is Sticky (Sweet)Black Rice and can be obtained at most Oriental Grocery Stores. Make sure you get the Sweet, Sticky Black rice, and not the regular black rice. They taste completely different. This has an exotic, mildly sweet and almost intoxicating aroma, hinting of sultry rain-forest nights, jasmine perfume and a hint of mystery and promise.... (sorry...lost it for a moment.....)

Kow Niow Dahm
    (Black Sticky Rice Pudding)

2 cups whole-grain Sticky Black Rice
    2 cups, or one can of coconut milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp toasted sesame seeds or shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
    Strawberries, mango slices and mint leaves, for garnish (optional)

Prepare the rice according to directions on the package. Personally, I usually don't rinse it. I just put 2 cups of rice in my ricer with 4 cups water and a few dashes of salt, and turn it on. The light changes to green when it's done. If you don't have a ricer (rice-steamer), I'd highly recommend getting one. They are inexpensive and make perfect rice everytime, without danger of burning.
    While the rice is cooking (you have about 45 minutes free time at this point), make the coconut sauce by heating the coconut milk, sugar and salt together in a sauce pan over med heat. There's no hurry at this point, so take your time and enjoy the experience. Stir the sauce until the sugar and salt are completely disolved, and set aside, keeping it warm (not hot...do not simmer!). When the rice is done, and while still hot, transfer to a heat-proof mixing bowl and pour sauce over the rice. Mix it completely. Let it stand for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors and aromas to blend and be absorbed.
    The rice can be served as is, chilled, or molded into a round mold on a serving plate and decorated with fruit, sesame seeds, shredded coconut and mint leaves. Or it can be served in individual custard-cups and garnished with the previously mentioned ingredients.

This will have a rich, nutty flavor and wonderful, chewy texture. The aroma is indescribable!

Semper Fi!

"And each week we ask for stuff like this."

Sorry Mr. Castwell. I'm kind of new to this board and I didn't know. I'll help anyway I can. I have developed 100s of game and fish recipes and have 2 published cook books out, one on game and fish, and one for things that can be foraged, you know...wild veggies, kudzu, polk-salad, road-kill (well...maybe that's going a bit too far....), etc....

Just let me know what y'all would like to know about and where to post it and I'd be more than happy to share. These days, being mostly retired and all, it's rare that anyone asks me anything, anymore.

Semper Fi!

Hey J. Castwell,

Sorry about the Mr. title. I guess you could be a Mrs as well. If I got it wrong, I apologize. It's hard to distinguish gender from just posts. (Nowdays, it's getting harder to tell gender, period!)

Smeper Fi!

Gigmaster,
    Delighted to have the recipes = I gather you haven't found our What's Cooking section (listed under FEATURES) we've had some really wonderful recipes. I'll copy the ones you've given for it - do take a look and maybe you can help fill in the 'holes'.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

No, I did'nt know we had a cooking section. I finally found it under 'Feaures'. It's cool.

Anyway I can help, I am at your service.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread