Sorry, I didn't know a way to paraphrase the subject I wanted advice on.

Essentially, I've had problems in the past at the point where I've brought the fish in, and now I have to handle it and release it. I'm talking about situations where I either don't have my net, or the fish is too large for the small net I carry.

This weekend I hooked into a 29" carp, and at one point managed to bring it close to shore, but it was too large for me to handle with one hand while keep the other on the rod. Because of my bad juggling skills, it managed to wriggle free and I had to fight the thing for another 45 minutes (I don't care what anyone says, 5 weight rods and large fish are no fun). I finally landed the fish by pushing it onto shore with one hand, taking the hook out, stuck the rod under my arm pit (tip backwards) and picked the fish up with both hands.

It seems to me there's a better way than what I've been doing to handle fish. I've seen pictures of the steelhead guys with the rod balanced across their shoulders, but I've got no idea A: how they managed to get into that position and B: how they are holding the rod there.