+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ross Evolution vs. Ross Rhythm

1. Default Ross Evolution vs. Ross Rhythm

Is there really any difference between the two reels except that the Evolution is lighter? Is it really worth the extra cash for the Evolution?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

The drag system is identical on the two reels. The Evolution has significantly more porting(machining)which accounts for the some of the additional cost, the rest is marketing.

I agree with the first reply. The drag is exactly the same, and they are both machined from solid barstock here in the USA. The evoloution is actually so light that it may not balance some of the best rods out there.

But you have to admit that the Evoloution is one of the prettiest reels out there.

I spoke to a Ross rep this weekend and he confirmed what has been said here. Internally they are the same. He also said that the one with less machining may be somewhat stronger.

Dan

I just bought two evolutions and one thing I was disappointed in was the drag knob was made of plastic, I can see it shattering on a cold day and it gets dropped

[url=http://www.maineflyfish.com:f2110]www.maineflyfish.com[/url:f2110]

I'm not fond of that new plastic drag knob on mine, either. I wonder about its long term durability.

I have just recently purchased a rhythm reel by ross reels. I have not had the chance to use the reel yet, but, it balances very well with my 5wt rod. As far as the plastic drag knob goes...I am not to concerned about it breaking. It may not even be plastic! It could be made from derlin which is used for a lot of reel handle. This is something you could ask Ross Reels.
    I have an old scientific anglers reel( same as a hardy marquis)25+ yrs old, it has a plastic drag knob and hub cover. although the reel does look quite used, these plastic components still look like new.If you do have a problem, ross reels come with a lifetime warranty.
    I am very happy with the quality of the rhythm and sure you will be happy aswell if you choose a ross reel.

[This message has been edited by Northern Fisher (edited 14 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread