+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drug Free Trout Bum Pulls "total stoner move"

Hybrid View

Default Drug Free Trout Bum Pulls "total stoner move"

I was fishing today and somhow lost the most complete skwalla box in the valley. I had patterns of all kinds in there and about 20 bugmeisters that I just tied the other day. I retraced my steps several times and my only conclusion is that it fell out in the river and floated away. Someone I know from another board lost two rod/reel combos the other day, so I guess it could be worse. What's your biggest stoner moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
    I was fishing today and somhow lost the most complete skwalla box in the valley. I had patterns of all kinds in there and about 20 bugmeisters that I just tied the other day. I retraced my steps several times and my only conclusion is that it fell out in the river and floated away. Someone I know from another board lost two rod/reel combos the other day, so I guess it could be worse. What's your biggest stoner moment?
    Let's just say I always write my name and phone number on my rod cases and my fly boxes (and my gear bag). I haven't left anything behind yet, but with my name and phone number written all over it, there's a chance it may be returned if found.

There's the time I slipped and slid down a steep bank. Standing on a clump of tree roots at the bottom of the hill I realized I had absolutely no idea how deep the water below me was and there was no way to climb back up the slippery steep hill. The only thing to do was stick my fly rod in to see when/if it touched bottem and try to gauge how deep the water was. It looked to be about chest deep and hopefully a few inches below the top of my waders. I cinched my wading belt, grabed the roots and slid into the water. Fortunately, it was about 4" shy of being over the top of my waders. But that was potentially the most stupid thing I did while out fishing (Oh, there's the bottomless pit of warm mud at Yellowstone that I stepped into but we won't talk about that where my wife may see it... she still does not know).

I did get to the stream once and realized my wading boots were sitting in the garage about 1 hour away. I also got to a local lake just to realize my boxes with warm water flies was at home and my vest contained a bunch of trout flies (yes, it is possible to catch a 15" largemouth on a #16 Adams).

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffnles1; 12-15-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Steve,
    "Small world" indeed. What were the odds of THAT happening ?. Other than that event , it was a great fishing day. Also, although insurance information was supplied, my insurance company was never contacted. The damage has also never been repaired ( 5? years)

That pic was two years ago. The kayak was purchased in Jackson and "jury rigged ( Jed Clampton's style " to the car top.

Mark

Maybe not a Stoner move but a Salt Newbie move.

I walked out for over a half mile on a low tide at Brewster Flats on Cape Cod thinking that I would start heading back when the "Local" guys out on the next bar left.
    Tide was coming in when I noticed the guys up ahead were jumping into Kayaks and paddling away. Yikes......
    On the way back in I found you can not walk as fast as the tide moves.
    The troughs that I waded at my thighs on the way out were over my waist and rising and fanny pack , camera etc had to be hung around my neck. You get very tired trying to walk fast in deep water and mud & the beach is still a faint line in the distance. Two dark shadows about 6-8 feet long in the water about 40-50 feet away in the trough to my right seemed to keep up with me and I don't know if they were a mass of weeds or very large fish and I don't want to know. I just made it in although water had made it over the waders at one point and had to be rinsed although I almost wet them from the inside.

Dumb Dumb Dumb move....I have since heard of a few guys caught with grim results re: fog etc.

DuFf

Tubing with out fins. Yes, call me a bank fisher.

grabbed wrong reel for the rod I was taking once. 6wt line on a 4 wt rod works just fine, though.

Stepped on the small end of a rod while taking a picture of a friends large Bull Trout. The end broke off later while I was poking Suckers who were stuck in a backwater pool.

I am sure there are others.

Left a nice waterproof cell phone on the bumper of my truck....................... and trusted the person that found it to send it to me.

Got a nice Blackberry Storm now. Not waterproof but, my, the things you can do with it!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread