+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decline in Fly Anglers?

Hi Fats.. Sure wish I could find some of those flea markets around here. I hit the garage sales, flea markets and I never seem to be able to find any FF or FT gear or materials. ONLY place I've seen it is at our TU chapter fishing flea market where guys unload old stuff so they can buy new. And does it draw a crowd. Once in a while I get lucky at an estate sale but usually there aren't many deals because all the collectors are there too. Also, the shows I tie at have been having banner years.. I'll check your profile to see if you live within a couple of hundred miles of me so I can get to one of those sales you see...
    Hey Fatman...You are only next door in Vermont.. Post on here the next time a flea market has a lot of good deals on gear..especially old stuff. Heck, I'll buy lunch!

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 20 July 2006).]

DECLINING? I doubt it. I think the reverse is true. I see more and more people on the streams using fly rods and reels than probably any other time. Like LF said, you can make those numbers do anything.

If anything my home waters have increased 20%, and try as I may, I can't seem to find all that cheap gear from people getting out of flyfishing.

Fully agree with both above posts by Mantis. As usual he makes a lot of sense. I too would really like to find some of those sales. Definatly seeing plenty of recruitment into our sport in last few years. I do not know if it is wishfull thinking or just running into the right new fly fishermen. About last 2 years I am encountering more real fishermen joining us. Not snobs who will drown in a thunderstorm. We have had a small group of new anglers get involved in our local Trout Unlimited Chapter and they have been great guys who are enjoyable to spend some time on the stream with. Of course they might have a bit to learn but darn it I have been fly fishing for over 50 years and on some days I think I have everything to learn. New flyfishers are esential to our sport, seem to be coming on in good numbers and make it a better experience for us older naw, more experienced sounds better ,guys.

In my opinion, first of all, I think we all agree, flies can catch fish when other methods will fail. What other method "matchs the hatch" almost to perfection? True bait fishermen can say the sme thing, but how many natural Salmon eggs are in a small creek in September? Most new fly fishers start with the long rod because a friend or mentor has coaxed them to. Once they get the hang of it and start to catch fish, especially with their own creations, they are hooked for life. I think the used fly gear is around for the same reason there is a lot of used spin/casting gear around. Certain folk just aren't going to take to being alone on a stream or in a boat and or have some bad experiences that has caused the disenchantment. The only thing that will decrease the amount of fly fishers is the amount of public fish bearing water available to us. With federations, clubs and websites like FAOL things can only get better for us all.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

In my limited experience, our sport is growing. You have to wonder if these "surveys" are based on rod/reel & fly sales. I bet flyrods/reels are "cased" MUCH more often than baitcasting & spinning rods/reels, thus lasting longer & not needing replacement as often.

There are so many people building rods, tying flies, & using/buying vintage tackle, that retail sales of these items may have declined, along with the previously mentioned internet sales. It would be funny to see the same survey done by 4 different outfits, one using local retail sales, 2nd using Internet sales, another using new members & useage of boards such as FAOL, & the last surveying "on stream/river/lake". I think the results might go in a bunch of different directions.

Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Will do my part

Just in case, I will increase my outings by 20% to compensate.

Jonzee,

Well Said
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I'm sure there is a decline somewhere because her in Arizona (especially Phoenix) there are more and more FF on the water and on some of the local waters you can reach in to get a fly and find out your hand is in someone elses vest (lol).

Once someone experiences catching a fish rising to a fly, it is irresistible.
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

here in alaska fly fishers outnumber baitcasters period

+ Reply to Thread