After reading the thoughts of others I want to express my 2 cents worth. First off, I live in Oregon and have access to these recycle programs, provided I want to, which I do not. So my comments should not be construed to reflect that I am a hatchery truck chaser or even a person who fishes for Salmon or Steelhead.

First: These steelhead have completed their mission of returning to their spawning grounds and have done their part in ensuring that there are adequate fish for the future.

Second: What should you do with these surplus fish. Let them die, which most will anyway, throw them in the garbage, give them to the poor folks or ship them back down the river so the fisherman can have a second try at them?

Third: This state depends on license and tag sales to support their fish programs. It costs an angler $21.50 for a tag so one can fish for steelhead and salmon. It stands to reason that the more opportunities a fisherman has to harvest a salmon or steelhead the more apt that angler is to buy a tag. Recycling the fish increases that opportunity.

Four: These are not pen raised hatchery fish that many anglers are used to catching on a put and take basis, but basically wild fish that have spent the majority of their life in the salt water or in free flowing streams. They have run the gauntlet of anglers successfully at least once before reaching the hatchery and therefore any comments about shooting fish in a barrel are suspect.

Fifth: The program has been running for several years in this state and generally speaking most of the comments I have heard on this subject favor continuation of the program. In other words it appears that the fisherman like it.

In closing, like I said I don't fish for them, but I believe this program enhances this states ability to provide recreational opportunities for it's fisherman. Perhaps the idea of someone chasing a hatchery truck is distastful to you, as it is to me, but I think we should remember that the state is charged with the function of providing the best recreation possible for its citizens and I believe this program helps them achieve that goal.

Tim Anderson
Klamath Falls, Oregon