Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well this will probably cut into my fishin' time

Default I'm having the same issues....

But it's worth it!!!

Before

After

[/img]

beautiful pooch - about 10-12wks ?

don't worry about taking him fishing - yet. Other than that, it'll end up an outing - with rod in hand. But if that doesn't mind you any - go for it.

I trained my golden to Wolters' Water Dog book - not 100% to the book, I'm not taking him to field trials, just a field. Anyhow - following the book, and his advice - it worked great. All the hours put in on the dog ........ I'd do it again.
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 520912.jpg

oh yeah, on the fishing side, you might have a problem with him 'retrieving' your flies ........... that's what he does - gets what you throw out there

either way - enjoy

actually the first picture was last august and the 2nd picture was taken in april when she was 9 months old...now 13months old or so....she is doing great, but hasn't been fishing with me yet...

Default Beautiful pup

Have a friend in Vermont that has a Brit and if he's anything like his momma he'll be a great dog. Never seen this deal before; but, my friend had his first one trained to a fare-thee-well including a bacon flippin' trick! Now that your curiousity is present;, believe it or don't, he used to have the dog sit, put a piece of bacon on it's nose, tell her to wait, wait, wait and then when he said it was okay she would flip that piece of bacon up in the air and catch it for her treat. She was also an amazing bird dog.

My dog Miller does that trick also....she is in the picture above...

What a beautiful dog. I'm in the same boat as you. The puppy seriously cuts down on fishing time, as a matter of fact, I don't even want to think about it. We just brought one home last weekend, what a handful. And as far as book suggestions, I'll throw mine out. "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. These guys raise German Shepards in upstate New York. The book is incredible, going over each major developmental period, and also laying some seriously good groundwork training. They don't go into training for hunting much, but the groundwork needs to be there before that. I've only had dewey for 11 days (hes comming up on 10wks) and we have already nailed come and fetch, and are very close to getting sit. He's about 50% on the sit command but I think he'll have it down soon. Best of luck with yours and keep us updated.

+ Reply to Thread