+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable Vest Saved My Life.......

Default Inflatable Vest Saved My Life.......

On June 10, 2006 my buddy and I were float tubing on a high mountain lake in Colorado.

Heavy runoff was being discharged into the St. Vrain river through an underwater outlet that we were not aware of. Long story short both of us were sucked into the outlet drain, including our Super FatCats, and violently discharged into the white water of the St. Vrain.

Fortunately we both had inflatable fishing vests (Stormy Seas models) and were able to keep our heads above water until we were rescued.

I am selling my tubing gear but am keeping my life vest for whatever fishing I do from now on. Believe me, when your clothes are soaked and waders being filled with water, and tubing fins on your feet, it is difficult to remain calm enough to save yourself.

The "Stormy Seas" vest I have is a shorty fishing vest. A yank on the pocket flap is all it takes to inflate it. It saved two lives here in Colorado.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Wonderful ending to a disasterous tale.
    Darned scarey situation for sure. Thank
    goodness you guys were smart enough to wear
    the preservers. Glad your both still with
    us. Looks as if you picked a good board
    name too.*G* Seems appropriate after your
    unexpected adventure. Warm regards, Jim

JC and I have and wear Stormy Seas Jackets (which look like jackets) on the saltwater fishing here. Excellent products. You obviously made a life-saving choice.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Glad you're safe, but WOW! that must have been some ride!

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

For serious fishermen the question is not if you need one, but when will you need one. It could be the spring day when the water is faster than you expected from the run off. It could be the fist time in a new river where you step off into a deep hole. Maybe when fishing in the salt and that rogue wave comes and sweeps you off your feet, or that rip. Maybe its in your kayak or canoe when all of a sudden what was up is now down.

I encourage everyone to own one. I do. I don't wear it always, but I have it whenever I think there might be a need.

jed

Just in case you missed this one. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html:43e37]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html[/url:43e37]

I'm glad you are ok, but what a terribly frightening experience!! Can you tell me about how the vests worked? Did you easily have the prescence of mind to pull the cord and inflate them? Do you feel a waist PFD would have been useless in your situation? What the heck kind of tube was it that pulled out all the way under water and into the river below? How deep did you go? What happened to your gear and the tubes? It seems like there should have been warning signs about such a strong draw.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

WOW! that's quite an experience. I am also surprised there were no warning signs or something to keep a person from such a dangerous situation.

I too have had a life vest save my life. It was my own foolish judgement that got me into that one - it was a full size stearns vest that kept me afloat and safe in a dangerous white water situation. Makes one really aware of the possible dangers while afield.

Now I wear a SOSpenders vest when tubing. I have not needed to use it but it's nice to know it's available if something happens.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Sounds like you had a face-to-face meeting with "Finnigan's Law", that states, "Murphy is an Optimist, about this sooner-or-later stuff!"

The equipment worked, you are alive to live another day. Whatever the devices cost, it is well worth the money, it saved both of your lives!

~Parnelli

Plan for the unexpected, then it will never be unexpected.

Although we both have the full sized coats with the Stormy Sea's floatation systems, I only had one vest and gave that to a friend last year. Now, as we are leaving in a week (Aug. 6th.) for Quebec and an appointment with Mr. A. Salmon, I just returned from the factory (right here in our town) with two brand new Stormy Sea's Vests! Hey, those rivers are not for sissies!

+ Reply to Thread