Having read the multitudes of kayak fishing information here and elsewhere on the web, we took the plunge and dove into one. We have a fiberglass canoe that is too heavy for me to load on the vehicles alone and no one in our family is physically able to help. The kayak is a great addition to our recreational options and it's great exercise too.
The kayak is a Perception America 11.0' (discontinued model), it weighs only 45 lbs. The opening is larger than most 9-1/2 footers so I can get my long legs into it (I'm 6'3"), and it'll hold up to 460 lbs. which allowed me to ride with my disabled sons for their first time out. Here are a couple of pictures of me teaching my boys to paddle.

T.J. and I... Trying to keep the blade straight.

Michael and I... Check out the smile on his face!

I was finally able to get it out by myself today and spent nearly 4 hours in it without a cramp or complaint. I was able to get some fishing done and caught one small bluegill. Casting from the yak is a breeze, nice to have room for a decent backcast.

I watched a small herd of deer wading along the shore, several blue herons, and a pair of white cranes. I cleaned up a little trash that nobody else could and had a pleasant afternoon. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of spiders, though. I had a good-sized one along for a ride after tying to some of the stumps in the lake. He seemed to want out but wasn't fond of me helping him out. So he had to wait 'til I was done.
Soon, I hope to get more pictures from the yak so you can see our local lakes.

Enjoy...

------------------
There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 08 July 2006).]