+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kayak model recomendations

Default kayak model recomendations

Seems my last post was lost in the recent crash. It appears that most seem to recomend a kayak over a canoe.

Nine out of ten people I ask agree that a kayak would be a better choice. Now the big decision....what model to go with.

For the time being lets say no budget requirements. What features are needed. My main reason for some sort of personal watercraft is to fish the shallow waters I cannot get my boat into and to have less of a cleanup when returning.

It would probably get equal usage in fresh and salt.

Thanks,
    Leo C

A bit of info about you and the uses you plan on for the Yak would be helpful to those who may have suggestions.....Water types,Your size/weight requirements and such.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I suppose that would help. For starters I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. I can see myself using in both fresh and salt.

Lakes, shallow shorlines and coves fishing for Bass & Bluegill (calm waters) unless the weather kicks up.

The coast, back bays & salt marsh. Here I would probably use just to cover territory and probably get out and wade.

In either case long distances would probably not be traveled. Something that will tow well behind a boat would be a plus. The later for motoring to those more distant sites and powering in until the water gets too shallow. I guess I could always throw it inside.

Salt would be fishing for reds & speckeled trout.

Leo C.

I was happy to get a kayak last Friday at a local sporting goods chain store, I got a Perception America 11.0 (sit-in). It's 11 ft long as I'm 6'3" and had some trouble with the 9 1/2 footers. It's the greatest thing I've bought in quite some time. All the kids love it, the wife even has a blast paddling around in it, she has osteo-arthritis and has no trouble getting around in it.

I would highly suggest you look at the SOT (sit-on-top) kayak to haul around with your fishing boat, they're much easier to get on and off and they accomodate long legs much easier. Be sure to get one that has a back brace and maybe a seat pad. Anything else you end up needing you can add; rod holder, anchors, paddle holder, etc. And, towing the yak behind the boat will be easy to do.

Check out [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com:044b1]Kayak Fishing Stuff[/url:044b1]'s web site for products, prices and more information.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 04 July 2006).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Find a kayak demo somewhere and try a variety of models on the water for yourself before deciding. Spend at least a half hour in each model if possible to make sure how it'll do on a long paddle.

I took the family to a local reservior today and rented a couple extra kayaks (both kids brought a friend so there were six of us for my two kayaks...).

Man, the rentals killed me after about a half hour! The "padded" seats in them were not adequate and there wasn't enough leg room.

I was in a Malibu XL because one of my kids had my Hobie Mirage Outback. I've spent 3+ hours straight in my Outback's seat with no complaints but a half hour in the Malibu XL had my foot going to sleep and my butt going numb.

If you're covering long distances for your fishing, you'll likely want to look for a long, slightly narrower kayak (not too narrow or you'll feel insecure while fighting fish). Longer is faster and narrower is faster for kayaks.

Also ponder how you're going to get it to and from the water. Make sure you can lift it onto the top of your vehicle or that it fits in the bed of your truck, etc...

I just went through the kayak purchasing research this summer...

Basically came down to two boats*: the Redfish by Heritage, and the Tarpon by Wilderness systems (both 14').

The Redfish didn't come with a rudder, has a more comfortable seat, and is more stable than the tarpon.

The tarpon (at least the ones I looked at) has a rudder... is about $300 more expensive, and is a faster paddling boat.

Both come with a little extra to make them fishing boats (the tarpon had a scotty rod holder.. the redfish a paddle leash. Although either way, I was buying what the other didn't offer as standard).

I went with the Redfish mainly for price (I got it for $650 new), and I wanted a stable boat to fish from for my intro to kayak fishing (not saying though that the tarpon is unstable).

Unless you're an experienced paddler of kayaks, I'm not really sold that paddling each will make one much more attractive than the other. How would you really know which is better?

* If money was no object, I would have 100% bought a Hobie kayak with the drive system.

Leo,

If money is no issue I would recommend a Hobie Mirage Kayak. Here is a link.

[url=http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html:8dd46]http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html[/url:8dd46]

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:8dd46]FlyReelDots.com[/url:8dd46]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Leo C - There is a combo canoe/kayak and I bought one of the first over 30 years ago. It is the Easy Rider TSL-1. If you have a family, this is a great craft. A decked canoe that you can put spray skirts on if you want. They make two versions, lite and not so lite. The lite is the one I owned, it has a balsa botom core. I used it on Puget Sound and the mouth of the Columbia River and it was very sea-worthy. I sold it to a friend about ten years ago, he had to have it and I have other pursuits. Check out..
    [url=http://www.easyriderkayaks.com:874f9]www.easyriderkayaks.com[/url:874f9]

Good paddeling, Jonezee

lots of options, i prefer a SOT for fishing b/c i am in and out of the boat a lot for wading etc. I can also turn side saddle without flipping, and they allow more freedom of movement.
    Think about what you need, up top storage, dry storage, speed, weight, length, transporting, capacity...all factors you really need to decide up front and then go from there.
    lastly, save the money on all that "fishing extras" that some suppliers offer. Get the yak and fish out of it a few times. get a feel for it, and how YOU want to set it up for the fishing YOU will be doing.

I have a wilderness systems Pungo which I think is a great Kayak. The down side is that service or replacement parts are near impossible to get. Their customer service is a joke so I no longer recommend anything that Wilderness Systems puts out.

jed

+ Reply to Thread