A small, local, "weekly shopper"-type paper in my area carries an outdoors column. When the subject is fishing, the gentleman who writes it usually includes a bit on catch and release, so we "leave some for the other guy." These columns are sometimes accompanied by a photo or two of successful fisherfolk and their catch, with the caption mentioning that the picture was taken before the fish was released. But here's the thing, the photos of his grandkids from a spring steelhead trip showed one of the little sports proudly holding up his fish by the head, kind of using the gill covers as handles. I'm pretty sure the dark streaks down the fish's flanks were blood and I'm pretty sure that fish won't be there for the next guy.

Another recent picture was of a very nice bass, taken in a pond I frequent. Two fingers in the gills, visible coming out the mouth. "Old Bob" was released to be caught another day, but I don't think he'll be there.

My question, dear friends, is "What would you do?" A strongly worded letter to the editor? A note to his publisher? Should I approach him at the next Fish and Wildlife forum and ask to have my picture taken, holding him by the lungs?

------------------
"I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess." --Red Green, "The Man's Prayer"

[This message has been edited by Tup (edited 04 July 2006).]