+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supporting local fly shop

Default Supporting local fly shop

I needed..well maybe not needed but wanted a new reel...the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock seems to get consistent good reports...bottom line my ..now only local fly shop after others have gone out of business... handles them.
    Orvis catalog and every place I've looked list them at $99 ...they have them for $129 ...what's that all about????....how can I support them?

whats the price after shipping when you get it from somewhere else?

the bottom line might not be that much of a difference, and that would be the deciding factor as to whether I go local or order elsewhere

Duck,
    With me, it's all about service. When I bought my Orvis Battenkill Barstock, I drove 80 miles further than I needed to (same price as others). I have received such fantastic service from Mad River Outfitters that it was well worth it to do my little part to ensure their continued presence. Ranger makes a good point.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey Duck
    Just went thru this myself. I went to buy a BBS for my new boo (thanks AKALOOKER) and found out that battenkill reels are now made in China and Orvis dropped the price to $99 (at least they did that). The ones that are $129 are the ones made in England and they are getting hard to find. Suggest you snap it up if you like the English made reels

------------------
    A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of small minds
    A FOOLISH CONSISTANCY IS THE HOBGOBLIN OF SMALL MINDS

ducksterman,
    I know how you feel. I ordered my Battenkill Bar Stock III from Orvis. According to their catalog, the shipping will be $8.95 so you will save $20 by ordering it. I do support my local fly shop every chance I get, but, if I can save $20, I will save $20. Money does not grow on the trees around my house so I want to get all that I can when I spend it. The few times that my local shop did not have what I wanted and I found it in a catalog, I would ask my local shop if they could order the item for me and sell it to me at a reasonable price. I do not mind giving my local shop a few bucks more but not $20. By the way, you will love the Battenkill Bar Stock reel!

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hey, why don't you get a nice Chinese made Bamboo Fly rod to match it?
    Bob

------------------

I used to think that buying big ticket items from catalogues and small stuff from the local shop was ok. Now I'm thinking that the small stuff won't keep the local guy afloat if everyone has my attitude. I do need him to be there so I've started to give much more support to my local shop.
    I used to race motorcycles and the local shop would give me some real nice discounts on all my parts and accesories for being loyal.

Hey hurly,

I bet that Orvis BBS balances out with that sweet little 6' Ralph Isaac Bamboo very nicely.

Hope you've gotten a chance to rub a little fish stink on her and break her in right!

Please email me a couple photos when you get a chance, would love to see them.

ducksterman,

I agree with hurly on this one, I'd personally rather have the English/Hardy made reel, than the China made version.

The older Hardy made Orvis CFO reels now command big dollars and are highly sought after by us Bamboo afficianatos'.

Just think, you could purchase a new English made Orvis BBS and in about 10 or so years it just may be worth more than you paid for it. I dont think that will be the case with the China made reels!

Besides, the English from the get go partnered with us in Iraq and continue to stand strong by us in Iraq! I certainly can afford a twenty spot to help keep their economy pumping strong!

British or China, British or China? Just a little food for thought that makes you go, Hmmmmmmmmmn!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

I was looking at a catalog last night - the reel you are looking at had two prices

99 and 129!
    based on the size - what size'r ya looking for...that may be the difference?
    I think the switch point was 5wt, but it was late and my memory fails me anyhow

Duckster,
    I responded to the email you sent me about my SB cane rod... it didn't go through.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm all set.

------------------
    May the fish that you catch always be larger than the hole in your net
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread