+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms Customer Service

Default Simms Customer Service

I sent in my bootfoot waders to Simms for evaluation due to some leaks around the seam where the boot meets the wader. I tracked my UPS shipment of the waders to them, and it took exactly one week.

After they had the waders in their hands for over a week, I called them to find out what was going on with my waders. I was told the the service rep was on the other line, and might be a while, but that she had just sent an e-mail to me with all the info. Great, I'll just get the e-mail with my info. Two days later, still no e-mail (I still haven't received it), so I called again.

I was told that the needed repairs would be about $100, but there was no guarantee that they work, and I would do best to use them as a back up, and try to patch them myself. In fact, they were going to include 2 patch kits when they sent them back. Fair enough, they've seen some serious use over the years.

Well, the waders arrived (strangely, it took 2 business days longer than the trip out there took). No patch kit anywhere in sight. I'm gonna call them about it.

This wouldn't be so bad if it were the first time, but it's not. I sent them in last year, or the year before for repair. When I got them back, they leaked in exactly the same place as they did before being sent. I called them up and insisted they issue a call tag to send them back to Montana (to their credit, they did). I explained that I had an upcoming trip, and needed these waders back by a certain date. The waders did not make the trip with me. They got back to me after I returned from the trip.

Maybe I'm too demanding, but in my eyes they are 0 for 2 in customer service. I needed new waders, and I thought about companies that have never failed me. After looking at several brands, I ordered the LL Bean waders online Sunday. They were at my house on Tuesday, and in use Tuesday night. I'm betting that I can count on LL Bean to provide great service if needed. As for Simms, I'm done with them for now.
    End of rambling,

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

some companies just don't seem to care. i had a similar experience with redington--buying a 7 peice rod for a trip to florida. after weeks of waiting for the rod i got it three days before the trip--and it was the wrong weight. i called and explained the situation to see if they could send one overnight, since it was their error, and they refused. i returned the rod, bought the cabellas wayfarer and haven't dealt with redingtons since.

I'm amazed you even got a response to your e-mail.

Over the years I have sent Simms numerous-mails with questions about products prior to making a purchase. I have NEVER received a response.

The last time I had a question; after waiting three weeks with no response I e-mailed their European HQ who then e-mailed the US operation who FINIALLY responded.

Interestingly enough I e-mailed L.L. Bean with a question about their version of the same product and got an e-mail response in TWO HOURS! Needless to say I went with Bean's.

I only hope you at least considered the sponsors on here as you made your choice. Service is one of the several things we demand of a sponsor before accepting them.

Sometimes it may seem strange that some company is not a sponsor as they might appear to be just fine. It is often the case where we have turned down their request for some reason which we do not ever reveal.

Then there are times when a well meaning person will strongly imply that if some company is not on here it is because we are too 'something,' small, etc. This is usually not the case. If some major company is not on FAOL there is a reason, our reason, as to why not.

Yes, Castwell, I did look at sponsors here before I made a purchase. In fact, I have done business with some of them in the past, and been quite satisfied. In fact, I believe I have posted in the past with positive comments about these companies. I try to give credit where credit is due, as opposed to just posting the complaints.

I had to take into account many things before my purchase. Service (including after the sale) is a priority for me. Other factors were price, sizing, and comments regarding waders from others here and elsewhere, among other things.

My past experiences with LL Bean have been exemplary, and they fit all my criteria perfectly. It sure was nice staying dry while wading for the first time in a while.

And FWIW, I know two other people who have Bean waders, and are happy with them.

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

We have tried to contact "the right people" at LL Bean to invite them to become Sponsors, in fact multiple times. Just can't make the right connection. We've had many people highly recommend them, and we have some of their products too.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread