+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are they trying to kill us?

Default Are they trying to kill us?

Hello all, this weekend is a holliday weekend here in N.Z. so the rivers are fairly full of anglers. So guess what the local power co did mid morning on Friday, yes they did a test of one of the control gates on the Tongariro power scheme that suddenly increased water volume from 29 cumecs to about 70 cumecs the storys of fisherman having to do emergency crossings or being stuck on mid stream islands not nowing how far the river might rise or for how long are flooding in. (exuse the pun),
    This was without any warning at the start of a long weekend the stupidity of it is stagering. There will I hope be an inquiry as some of those who had hairy moments have complained to the police.
    The power co is suposed to do this sort of thing between midnight and 5am when no one is fishing or rafting the river and or give plenty of advance warning .
    Anyhow, take care out there and if you find yourself in the same situation, stay put even if you are on the wrong side of the river.
    All the best.
    Mike

Mike,,, Thanks. But, what can the rest of us do? Trust me, a nasty letter from Castwell would not accomplish anything.

Seriously though, can you link this idiot move to any 'damage'? Human life is worthless, but, how about some stupid bugs or minnows in the river?

nighthawk Guest

I am always wary when fishing below power plant dams. They don't always sound the warning sirens prior to controlled relaeses of water. Strange as it may sound, J.C. has a valid point.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

J.C. This was just ment as a warning to all who like me like to wade and cross those big rivers to keep a wary eye out.
    All the best.
    Mike.

So? Sombody should raise "Bloody 'ell" about what they did. What are you going to do about it?

Hi,
    Just to let you know, the Tuesday paper had coverage of this very thing! At least the media was onto it and it was made known to the public. Of course, the power company's response is that "It was no big deal. etc". Of course, I saw Mike's post here before I saw the paper!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I never feel comfortable fishing below a dam. There is that odd "what if" feeling that keeps my senses at the ready. This situation in New Zealand sounds like a bad one.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Mike,,, just tell the WORLD not to come there because it's not SAFE! Then when your local merchants squawk, tell them to get on the power company!

Dave Whitlock suggested placing a $100. bill on a rock, just up stream. When it floats by you--get out of the water.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Yes thats a great idea, if I tell the world its not safe I will have the river all to myself, imagine the possibilities!
    Seriously though the local buisnesses are to use a bit of local jargon "doing there nut"
    over this as they know full well it is never good for buisness to kill your clients. The local town is almost totally dependent on visiting fishermen to bolster there economy.
    All the best.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread