Dear Board,

I've seen a few posts about high shipping costs from mail order fly fishing suppliers and I generally have little sympathy for the folks who complain. The shipping costs are always clearly and plainly stated on the order form.

Well today the shoe was on the other foot so to speak. I took a package to the Post Office that was being shipped to a Marine serving in Iraq. It was going to an APO address, which means it was going to NYC and the military would take over from there.

In the package was (9) 80 count travel boxes of baby wipes, (5) rolls of 2 inch duct tape, (3) pounds of beef jerky, (1) 10 can roll of Copenhagen, (1) 10 can roll of Skoal. Total weight, 28.06 pounds.

Total shipping cost from Harrisburg, PA to NYC, a distant of about 125 miles...........$ 54.65!!!!!!! via USPS Priority mail which was the only way to send it.

I'm not complaining about the cost because I think it's well worth it to help out some troops, but now I sort off understand the $ 11.95 shipping charge on a 3 ounce chicken neck. The guy who orders a boat anchor also pays $ 11.95 because the shipping charges are computed based on the value of the order and not the weight. The hackle buyer has to subsidize the shipping costs for the boat anchor buyer.

The moral of the story, next time you order something light you should also order something heavy. That way you get your money's worth out of the shipping charge.

Best wishes,
Avalon