+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortland customer service

Default Cortland customer service

Broke my old Cortland graphite 5 wt last month, right on the butt section at the ferrule. Completely, absolutely my fault and not any kind of defect. Cortland already replaced one mid section of it last year from another break, for a grand total of $15 shipping. (It's my 'beater' rod!)

I pretty much agreed with many folk's positions on rod warranties during JC's big discussion about it last winter....I told our local Cortland pro shop that I felt guilty sending it back since it was my fault, not theirs. They told me -- send it in anyway. The worst they can say is no, and warranty service is built into the price of the rod (it's a cheap rod, $120 or so).

Just got a brand new GRX in at the shop today with my name on the tag, packed in my old rod case and sock, with shrink wrap still on the grip. With a note attached saying they no longer had any replacement sections for that model, so here's a brand new one. Total cost? $15 for shipping.

Thumbs up to Cortland! I'll try to be more careful with this one.

DANBOB

what a great way to do business. Excellent! Other retail outfits ought to take heed>

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Cortland is one of those companies who have been around long enough to develop a reputation. Lots have come and gone in the meantime.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

They are owned by their employees. It's a tough life in the manufacturing game and they are out to win. They and their associated brands have been strong supporters of FAOL from the start and are one of the companies responsible for bringing you the pages of information and helping develop the fraternity and collegiality found here.

Yep, Cortland's attitude on rod repairs got me started buying their fly line. Then they came out with Sylk, which feels, well, sexy while stripping. OUCH, sorry! But it's so different in feel from the other big name brands of fly line I've tried that I thought it quite remarkable, and will buy more when my current 444 lines in other sizes and tapers wear out.

Anyway, I feel obligated to post stories like this when I get treated right. I've been cheerful all day since our local fly shop owner told me "Hey, check out out your new rod!" this morning. I asked her, "You're joking, right?"

And the original broken one was simply a very nice-casting, under $100 budget rod--something I'd recommend to any beginner that wants to spend a bit more than what Mal-Wart can offer and feel a bit of what a real fly rod can do, and perfect for my 'beater' on rough terrain.

Anyway, I'm off to rig it up for a test before it gets too dark.

DAN

Cortland...a peach of a company !!

Since we are on the Cortland bandwagon..And I know this is not the for sale site. I have a Cortland "Crown" fly reel. New, never used. In origional box with instructions and origional bill of sale. This is early 1970's. Size 5-6 line. "made in England". This is not a Hardy but it is a nice 'click pawl" reel. In other words, no adjustable drag, just the nice sing of the click. I will sell for $43.00 shipped anywhere 48s. If you want photos email me. tight lines, Jonezee

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 26 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 27 May 2006).]

Back from the lawn. The GRX casts just fine! It's a darn fine rod for the price. Cortland probably spent more replacing rods that I broke than I ever paid them for rods in the first place. Though they made it back from me in fly line...
    DAN

"Holy Bat Poop, Jonezee, that's cheap," he exclaimed!

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 26 May 2006).]

Cortland is indeed one of the best companies out there when it comes to customer support / service.

danbob, the GRX line of rods are quite amazing for the price aren't they. I currently use the 8' 5/6 wt 4pc model and love it, it is also one of the best local selling rods i carry, it is a perfect fit for brookie fishing here in the Maritimes.

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://www.jamiescustomflies.com:859aa]Jamie's Fly & Tackle Shop[/url:859aa]

+ Reply to Thread