+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of gas prices...

Default Speaking of gas prices...

...whatever happened to service stations?

I was trying to help an elderly neighbor locate another full service gas station, but they are near extinct here. The local stations are really "convenience" stores that sell gas. They are usually manned by one person that really couldn't care less about you. I guess selling beer and chips is more important than offering service. But where does that leave the elderly and the disabled?

BTW, I know Oregon doesn't have this same problem.

Oregon outlawed 'self-service' gas stations some years ago - I don't know if there are any. A grand idea.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

The guy had a striped shirt and black leather bow tie. He wiped your windshield and checked your oil while he filled your gas tank. A grease job got your windows washed inside and out. My America was better then. I often used worms for panfish. I ate what I caught usually.

no self-service gasoline here in Oregon, but there are those prepaid card stations. I actually get my windshield washed when I buy fuel here in town. Weird, eh?

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Most of our "stations" are also glorified convenience stores wit ZERO service. However, the station we frequent is an independently owned Sunoco...John is a super mechanic, all his guys clean windows, headlights, mirrors, check fluids & tires, AND he remembers Colleen being pregnant with our now 31 year old daughter, Molly. That's how long we have lived here & how long he's had our business. He's easily worth the 2 to 3 CENTS more per gallon that he charges.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

We moved from Oregon to Michigan over 6 years ago. When we got here, the gas station owner had to show my wife how to pump gas after 50 years of someone else pumping it for her. She does not like it. I worked my way through high school in Oregon pumping gas..it bought me flies and 22 ammo. No kids in Michigan have a job, they just hang around. Gas is cheaper in Oregon than here in Michigan. Go figure...

Jonezee,,, above, I was describing,,,
    a place in the early 40's in,,,
    Traverse City,,, Michigan.

Do you know that some gas is still free? Just let Dinah eat some of the duck and potato dog food in the office. You'll get some free gas!
    Sorry JC, another useless post.
    ....lee s.
    PS - We too felt the "extra" couple cents were well spent at a certain station years back. Willy was sure grand to us young, wild hay-shakers....in the winter especially. "Handshake" business in those days.

Never useless Lee, just part of the 'fraturity'.

What good memories I can remember paying .15 a gallon for gas in a custom build 50 ford ragtop. The body was droped over the frame of a gas dragster. that thing would pass everything but a gas station and a big hole in the river where it decided to go one day LOL

+ Reply to Thread