I finally got a conclusive diagnosis after dislocating my shoulder during a fall while scouting a fishing spot a week ago. The radiologist missed a glenoid fracture (broken shoulder socket) when he read the XRays, leading the ER doc to assume a A/C joint (shoulder) strain. After the arm came out of the socket on Tuesday -again- I followed up with primary care doc, who suspected a torn rotator cuff injury and referred me to the orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon quickly saw the real issue and got me the MRI the ins. co wouldn't do for my M.D. That ruled out torn rotator cuff and put me on a fast track to surgery and recovery. The good news part; my surgeon feels that this type of procedure (a couple of screws to reattach the rim of the socket back to the bone) will mean a much quicker recovery than a rotator cuff operation. I'm hoping to get back to work that much sooner and save some portion of the fishing season. (I had a foot operation and minor shoulder surgery a month ago and was thinking that I had all the issues behind me until this last debacle...) I'm psyched that this surgeon is trying to get me in for the operation tommorrow, as he only saw me Friday and got the MRI ordered for that afternoon. The fact that he does 300-400 shoulder surgeries a year gives me confidence also. He told me not to listen to any horror stories about shoulder surgery, because this one is not a common one- and rotator cuffs are a whole different deal. Think good thoughts for me if you would, and I hope to see you online-and on the water- soon, Jim "the one armed typist"

------------------
"Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"