+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: High Freight Costs From Retailers

Our online order system used to tack $5 on every order automatically; when people complained we'd just add free 'stuff' to their orders. I recently upgraded us to a new online shopping cart that can calculate the actual rate live from USPS and UPS; now it tacks on 50 cents to $2.50 and customers are much happier.

We also charge an extra 50 cents for ANY US Mail order! Just because they are such a PITA to deal with.

As for returns -- we deal with them on a case-by-case basis. If it was our mistake, we always pay shipping. If it's a small item with small shipping cost, we pay it even if it's the customer's fault. Big items we often offer to split new shipping 50-50.

As for complaints-- go ahead and complain! With a small company like ours, it makes a big impression, fast...hence our new ordering system. I used to work for a big mail order company, too -- and you may not get results right away, but rest assured those complaints get tallied up and onto a manager's desk. When there are enough complaints, changes can happen.

DANBOB

This all makes a good case for supporting the local specialty (flyshops) when you can. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have on reasonably close. Maybe the little bit more here and there will save you in not having to get clobbered by the s&h scam on other items, not to mention the hands on customer service they usually provide. Nice to have a place to meet and socialize in the off season etc. too...

------------------
    "Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"

danbob,

I applaud your approach.

Some of you remember the order sheet in the old Herter's catalogs. The shipping cost was based on mailing zones and the total weight of the shipment. The weight for each item was clearly noted in the item description. This allowed the customer to figure out the cost and also to choose the method of shipping.

Allan

What gets me is when I ordered (notice the past tense) from one of the large mail order companies (notice that I didn't say it was the one that sells housewares, dog pillows, or women's clothes) and they charge me not only shipping and handling (that's fair) but also sales tax. They have a store in my state (several hundred miles away) so they have to charge sales tax as well as shipping and handling. Ouch.

Rev Rob:

The tax thing is understandable, although NOT appreciated when a company has a brick & mortar establishment in your state but check this out:

The other week I ordered the latest version of Delorme Topo software directly from Delorme in Maine. They charged me PA sales tax on my order because according to them and the PA sales tax laws, those displays of Delorme Gazetteers you see in the stores are considered a presence in PA.

What a load of fish manure! If the amount wasn't so insignificant, $2.34; I'd fight that interpretation.

+ Reply to Thread