I LOVE to do business with mail order places, but some are just way out of line with their shipping charges.

Unfortunately, my local shops don't often have what I need and aren't willing to order for me, so as a result I have to buy a lot from the web. But the other day I received a package from a PA retailer, (not an FAOL sponsor I think) and I was charged 800% over cost for the shipping!

I realize many have flat rates for freight based on order amount but, they really need to reconsider that policy when they choose to ship something US mail and when you get it, you can see the cost of the postage was $.63.

Come on now, $5.95 S&H on a $4.00 item that cost you $.63 to ship. I also had another company 20 miles away send me 20 spools of thread via 1st Class Mail and charge me $10.00 freight! Even worse are the companies that charge you based on the items RETAIL value. So an item which cost you $100 and cost them $50, (or less), costs them $3.00 to ship UPS and they want to charge you $20 shipping & handling. Really, I?m not kidding, I?ve seen this from quite a few companies.

The shipping and handling game is a real cash cow for some online retailers and they way they are taxed on this additional revenue needs to be looked at. I work daily with a shipping department and know all to well the actual costs and how they affect my P&L. I don?t use it as a hidden revenue source to make up for low margins or poor management.

Caveat emptor is the old adage but keep an eye on the freight costs from these merchants and avoid the ones who don?t let you calculate freight charges before you click the ?complete purchase? button. They do that for a reason.