Okay, got to let off some steam. This was a long time building up so I've got to get rid of it somewhere . You guys know me and I don't usually get upset for no good reason. Okay, gator feeders, and invasive species are a good reason to me. But there is another pet peave and here it is.

I have some modern fly reels and they are super good reels as far as I am concerned (so don't get me wrong on the super good quality of modern fly reels) but the only drawback for me is the same as on all modern fly reels that are produced by all manufacturers today that I hate as all fly reels produced today seem to be designed this way and this way only. They have an open frame design . I know they are trying to keep weight down but there is more chance for things (dirt, rubbish, and so on) to get hung up in the line on the open spool and in the open spool that could jam it. This happens to me all the time. I am reminded of the cutaway magazine ammo clips that caused so many malfunctions for the military. Do designers ever learn from their passed lessons? If I could find a closed frame reel like used to be made, I would get one. But alas, there are none that I have found....anywhere....by anyone. They stopped making them. You would think there would still be a few. They are all the same now.... open framed reels. If enough stink was raised over the frame problem, maybe they would change. I know I can't be alone on this one.

------------------
Robert B. McCorquodale
Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 07 May 2006).]