+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the plastic taste out of your canteen water

Default Getting the plastic taste out of your canteen water

A "U.S. Marine Gunnery Sergeant" taught a "U.S. Army Buck Sergent a wonderful secret.

Plastic water containers, will impart a plastic taste to the water they are storing, on hot days. To get remedy the situation, you pour some whiskey into the empty water container, put on the cap, and shake the mixture like you are making martini's!

{b]Then pour the whiskey out of the plastic container, and rinse the inside of the container with some clean water.[/b]

You not only rid the the plastic taste from the water (whiskey seals the surface of the plastic), but you also have sanitized the container, to insure the water stays clean.

On a hot day, the water tastes fresh and clean, just what you need to rehydrate. ~Parnelli

"{b]Then pour the whiskey out of the plastic container, and rinse the inside of the container with some clean water.[/b]"

Do we have to?????

He didn't specify what to pour the whiskey into now did he?

My concern is - does it affect the taste of the whiskey?
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

You guys are a riot!!!

I really needed a laugh, and your responses not only got a laugh but a huge grin to boot. Cheers!!!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Nalgine is a plastic bottle, specifically for water storage. No taste of anything but the water you put in it. You can buy plastic Nalgine bottles at any backpacking or outdoor store. comes in sizes from 1/2 litter up to gallons. Not expensive. Pour our Whiskey? sick.........what are you using? Old Crow?

A cheap one might be good to clean things out, but I know what to do with a good single malt scotch. There's been many a problem solved on camping trips, after dinner, comtemplating Life with a good fire and a good single malt....

Ohhhhh,
    the river is NOT lowering fast enough...

Today is cinco de Mayo...comtemplate your tequila...starting again tomorrow, it is back to single malt. A nice Auchentoshan from the lowlands will help you get back in step. Diane, you amaze me sometimes. Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

I bet you could accomplish the same thing with Listerine and not have to waste good whiskey in the process .

OK, we're missing a very vital piece of information here...when you rinse the flask with "whiskey" is the taste changed????....if not I [just my thoughts..[G] I would rather rinse with the booze...certainaly not Listerine....and then dispose of it in any manner I considered appropriate...maybe we should try to determine what type of adult beverage would best do the job.... We've got alot of work to do here..........?????

+ Reply to Thread